Weekly Chat, Sunday, April 17, 2011

Evening all: Just off to check recent posts.

• Report on latest day trip. The usual mid-morning coffee stop at Port Wakefield where I had a "snack" of a Cornish pasty. Part of the country was unusually green (for this time of year). Then further on another paddock would be dry and dusty. These are the Hummocks, the hills at the head of Gulf St Vincent. (The sheds are chicken farms.)

Some had a successful visit to an antiques shop at Snowtown. The deli closed 3 weeks ago and the garage expected shortly - sadly another country town is dying.
    Tucked away behind these trees is the Keilli Cemetery. The govt town of Keilli (pronounced keelee) was planned but never built.

Two  views from Keilli Cem.

Nearby are the ruins of the old school. Striding across the hills are the towers of a wind farm. 16% of SA’s power comes from wind power. (Brown coal from Leigh Ck provides about 50% and gas from Moomba 30%.)

Many of these towns had railways to the coast so the grain could be shipped away. A short visit to sleepy Mundoora - tho’ the bowling club was quite active. Mundoora was connected to the port by a horse-drawn railway in 1800s. In time the govt changed its mind and all railways led to Port Adelaide, so the small ports and the railways disappeared.

Lunch stop, 1½ hours in Port Broughton. I walked for 15 mins, sat for 5-10 and so managed not to be hobbling by day’s end. I took a sandwich (it saves time hunting for lunch) but bought a drink at cafe/fish shop. I was amused to overhear that an order of fish & chips would take 1 hour. What, did they have to catch the fish? . . . or dig the spuds? LOL Along the foreshore are Norfolk Island pines (popular on many of our beachfronts). Families were picnicking on the lawns, walking the jetty in the sunshine. A popular spot for fishing and crabbing holidays.

Last stop at Bute where the local history group opened their room for us. It was a pleasant leisurely day. And I captured another half a dozen churches for my flickr site.

• Annette - Can't you "sit around" watching webcams as a distraction from the brick? Never fear, we are not repainting. Carpet is on the agenda when more money piles up. Meanwhile we are telling ourselves how nice and clean and fresh the room looks. Mind over matter.

Now 1.30-ish pm and all I've done today is brave Foodland & vegie shop for supplies, restore china cabinet, and play with photos. How can I get so little done? Shops were crazy as we have a 5-day break. Anzac Day (public holiday) is Monday. Thus the govt has declared that Tuesday is the Easter Monday public holiday. Confusing? When I was a child I complained to my mother that if she'd had me a day earlier I would have had a holiday for my birthday. This year when the 26th is a holiday it doesn't make much difference, all days are much the same. LOL

• Only just caught your video link Tiger - what a delight (but I caught myself starting to say  ... but that's not a robin   :)      )

AQ you should write Travel Talks for TV or radio. Thank you.

Hope everyone is as well as possible.

Bobby and Billy (forgive me I forget who Buzz is) and Haimish and Clover - all bright eyed and bushy tailed , as the saying goes, I trust

• Morning All:    No sun here yet, but still dry.  More watering will have to be done.  My eucalyptus is looking decidedly poorly, with some obviously dead parts and only a few green leaves - we pruned it last autumn, too, so there's not a lot of it to save now.  Have lost several plants in the cold winter, and of course none of our geraniums survived as OH put them in the cold frame which is not heated, and they just curled up and died. We don't want to have a heated greenhouse as its too much trouble, so if we are to have such cold winters we will just have to resign ourselves to buying new plants each year.

AQ:   Thanks for the description of your trip, and the great photos - its good to get a feel of a place we've never seen.  Sorry about the wall/carpet colours problem, how annoying.  Get some light shades that make it all gloomy and you won't notice!  I find that when I clean out the kitchen cupboards, the stuff never fits back in again...  there are always surplus items which my Friend would say, should be thrown away of course, but I just jam them back in somehow.  Smiled at your Smile!!

patricia t:  Sorry your OH has eye infection, not much fun. Hope it clears up soon.

Annette:   Glad your ears are better - now about that brick??  Is that your sinuses?  By the way, it was my OH who had the stitch in his eye, its now OK and he's feeling sooo much better.  Good to hear that your gt. grandchild is thriving.

Must tidy round as visitors this morning.  Will not see our beloved Sweetpea till after the Easter hols, as they are going off to stay with the inlaws but we will be travelling down to see them during the week, next week.

Have a Good Day, All.

• Good morning Lindybird just to let you know I will be thinking of you, OH and Buzz today I know what a difficult day it will be with the worry.

Shame you will not be seeing Sweet Pea until next week, not long to wait.

Margobird

• Good Morning Everyone. Lovely sunny morning again. I wish this cough would go. I sound awful when I first get up. I am beginning to wonder if it is all the pollen. The car was yellow with pollen yesterday. 

Welcome back OG. Sorry you are still concerned about your son. I don't think anyone starts a new job without at least some nerves, so I hope all goes well for him and that he receives plenty of encouragement from others working with him.

Annette, It does sound as if you have sinus problems. Hope it improves for you.

Linda, Will be thinking of you today, when you go to the vets. 

AQ, Thank you for the report on your trip and your photo's. I will have to go back for a second read to absorb it all. Very interesting.

Patricia, So sorry that your husband now has an eye infection.

I have to go and do some shopping now. Later than I planned but I did have to look at the nest and then time just seems to vanish.

• Hello AW and thanks for the round up of your latest day trip, all very fascinating and good photos.  Can't be long now until you are off again on your trip to Europe.

Margobird

• Sorry AQ fingers on wrong keys syndrome.

Margobird

• Annette pleased your creaky is better but sorry about the brick, sounds as though it could be sinus problems, does your face heart if you press on your cheek bones.  Might need a course of antibiotics for it.  Take it easy and hope you feel better soon.

Margobird

• Good morning all and first of all is anyone else having trouble getting into the Daily Chat for today.  Cen get weekly and LOtL but despite numerous attempts by the back door and any other door come to that. still cannot access it.

pariciat so sorry to read your OH now has an eye infection, it seems never ending for you.  Was pleased to see that you have decided to get someone to remodel your garden and hopefully this will make things easier for you. 

original goldfinch welcome back and it sounds as though you have had a wonderful time.  Look forward to seeing some of your excellent photos.  Glad you enjoyed meet with Wendy  and I am looking forward to meeting her in June.

Sorry your son is a bit stressed about his new job but I think we all feel that way when starting something new.  Hopefully he will gain some confidence and start to enjoy the position.

Brenda H see you still have that cough but have to say when I had the virus it took nearly a month to do.  Do you suffer from hayfever usually.  Hoping you will be fully recovered soon.

Had a phone call from my sister last night and even though she is still cheerful it looks as though she will not be taking the chemotherapy option.  After 4 years of treament for various cancers she feels she has had enough and really cannot face 4 months chemotherapy.  She has to see consultant again on May 4 but says as they told there was only a 10% chance of success was it worth all that for just 10%.  Difficult to know what to say to her but her daughter wants her to have the treatment while her OH and son say they will support whatever her decision is at the end of the day.  Started to think now about how long we will still have her but I will respect her wishes but find it hard to accept what may happen.  I expect she will find out more on her next visit to the hospital.  In the meantime she has got herself a wig which she is a bit nervous about wearing but as she is going to a wedding this weekend it should make feel more confident whilst among other people.  At the beginning of next week OH it taking her up to Yorkshire for a rew days, she will probably need it after the wedding as she still gets very tired.  Just have to hope for a miracle and that she will be with us for a while yet.

Margobird