NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2011

Some interesting news from the Lake District. Apparently there was a second nest last year:
http://www.ospreywatch.co.uk/ospreys.html
  • Thanks Tiger hopefully can get a good view so that they will be able to ID this osprey.

Margobird

• Looking at Sue's excellent spreadsheet, there appear to be plenty of options. 6 females with white rings over these three years from Glaslyn alone!

• Tiger - that wasn't quite what I'd call explosive news! Well the possibilities seem to be as follows - assuming they were sexed correctly as chicks:

Glaslyn - YB, Rutland B - YL, Rutland Manton - YK, Bassenthwaite YT (sex unknown) or YU.

YU is the female photographed by John Wright in Djoudj NP, Senegal - so confirmed alive as recently as 3 months ago.    

Glaslyn - YC, YD or YE

Rutland B - 01 or 03*

*Tiger - I took this from the now-deleted Rutland records but it has always seemed an anomaly - why on earth would they give a chick the same ring ID/colour as its own father, 03 (97)?   

I have never found any details for Bassenthwaite in 2008. 

Glaslyn - 90 or 91

Bassenthwaite - 08 or 09

I'd have thought the Glaslyn trio from 2008 were the most likely candidates. 

• A long shot I know, but after what Val discovered I wonder if they've checked Spanish ringings?

Also ref Sue's comment above I googled for the the now deleted Rutland records in case they were still there. They weren't but I did manage to find a cached copy, which I've saved as a word doc

• Tiger and SueC   - Thanks for all your information.  I have looked in my diary for 2008 and have for Bassenthwaite on Tues 8th July the 3 chicks ringed, as 2 females White YW and YV, and a male YY.

By the way I always wondered why there seems to be no system as such to the colours and letters/numbers for the rings. eg a colour for an area or a year perhaps. It all seems rather ad hoc. Of course as long as there are the central records and each is unique that is the main thing.

• That is what I feared when they were not seen on the nestcam, and mention was made early on of the 'broccoli tree'  last year they showed a lot of interest in that tree even bringing sticks in later on after the chicks had fledged. It is a shame as everything is set up for the old nest. If it is the same pair, the female moved nests before. Strange, it seems a very suitable nest, for the ospreys and for protecting. It will be tricky at the new place, I think.

I am hoping to going to go up there on Thursday.

• Sue C   I am not sure if you are aware of the goings on at Glaslyn over the last few years? Well if a Glaslyn female turned up at Dyfi I am sure it would be considered explosive.

Who said the Rutland records were deleted? :)   I totally agree with you about giving a chick the same ID as its dad.  Not a good idea.

• ChrisyB  So another nest move at Bassenthwaite - though it does mean there are 2 vacant nests in the valley! Thanks for the 2008 chick details, though they raise another question - according to this blog and this one, YV was a male chick ringed in 2007.

Tiger  Yes I have seen something about the "goings on" - though of course ospreys pay no attention to fallings-out between humans.  

• Hazel b said:

Sue C   I am not sure if you are aware of the goings on at Glaslyn over the last few years? Well if a Glaslyn female turned up at Dyfi I am sure it would be considered explosive.

Who said the Rutland records were deleted? :)   I totally agree with you about giving a chick the same ID as its dad.  Not a good idea.

I agree with Tiger on this one. Can't see why any of  the others could be explosive  :)

Many thanks for the data Chrisy and Sue and agree with you Sue re the two 03s. Stupid idea.

Fingers crossed all will be revealed tomorrow :)