NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2011

Some interesting news from the Lake District. Apparently there was a second nest last year:
http://www.ospreywatch.co.uk/ospreys.html
  • Thanks for that, Tiger. Well what a surprise - was expecting it to be either a Glaslyn or Bassenthwaite bird. It looks like a lot of the Rutland birds cannot resist the charms of Wales! Good to know that the genes are being spread around.

• Exciting; but hardly explosive?? I’m sure the Rutland team are happy that a 3rd of their Osprey’s has returned to Wales to breed (sorry shouldn’t count chickens yet), it's great news for us all. I can't quite work out the reasons for the delays, secrecy etc?

• Vespa  It was almost certainly to do with co-ordination with Rutland. No doubt they will want to announce the news later today.

I agree that in retrospect it can hardly be described as explosive.

I am still fascinated by the high return rate at Rutland at least for 3 (97) and 05 (00). I would need to check this out but if memory serves me right  05 (00), 08 (01) and SSK all can from the same nest. It would be interesing if their offspring do as well as 05 (00).

I did not visit Rutland in 2008 as that was the year of the "long sit" in Manton bay.

• Tiger; If we've now had two returns from the 3 fledged birds in 2008 it will be interesting to see how many we see this year from the 9 young from 2009. Will we see them at Rutland or as numbers build up at Rutland will they wander further a field like 30(08). I suspect this is what 08(01) did before returning home in 2006. Hopefully over the next few years we’ll start to get them cropping up all over central & southern England & Wales!!!.

• Vespa 

Haven't we had the following record?

2004    Two out of two   5R and 5N

2005    Two out of three   30 and 32

2006    One out of  three  AA maroon.  But 6T had disappeared after about a week

2007   None out of  five ? (two nests)

2008   05 (08) and now  Nora 03 (08) out of three.

I feel that ospreys can sniff out nests. Remember how 02 (01) turned up first at Bassenthwaite and then Tweed Valley.

• Yes, completely agree with your figures; 7 from 15 young that migrated seems a very good rate.

Lets hope it continues.

• I am wondering if the high return rate is because they are only going to Portugal. We know that SSK went to Portugal and she had similar genes.

• Hazel b said:

I am wondering if the high return rate is because they are only going to Portugal. We know that SSK went to Portugal and she had similar genes.

Definite possibility Tiger.

Tracking teaches us not to presume that all our ospreys migrate to Africa. Staff at SWT assume that Marge (Lady) overwinters in Africa yet that info is unknown. She may only go as far as Spain like Beatrice.

• An interesting idea; it would mean the Rutland team were looking in the wrong place this winter!!

It would make an interesting bit of research to track birds related to a known Iberian wintering bird

• sandy said:

Thanks for that, Tiger. Well what a surprise - was expecting it to be either a Glaslyn or Bassenthwaite bird. It looks like a lot of the Rutland birds cannot resist the charms of Wales! Good to know that the genes are being spread around.

I had convinced myself Nora was a Glaslyn bird Sandy, so was a bit gobsmacked at the news.

Great they have a pair this year whatever Nora's origins.  Ems, Janine and team have certainly put enough work into the project and I wish them every success.