Odin

At 1.30pm on Friday 3rd April 2009 a new male osprey arrived at Loch Garten and began to woo EJ who has had a difficult time at Loch Garten since she arrived on June 16th 2003 having been evicted from her own nest.

At the time we said that we would give the new male time to settle in before passing judgent. As the season darws to a close maybe it is the time to say what Odin has come to mean to you and how he compares to previous Loch Garten males like OVS, Henry and Ollie?

• we had a discussion earlier in the year about Odin and we thought he was Magnificent then but decided to hold off a bit before coming to a final judgement.

Well, I think it is fair to say he is the best a girl could hope for (this coming from a guy!!) He has performed so well this year, even after the fishing line incident. let's not forget that must have taken a huge effort to get free of the line which shows a real will to "live". He must have come close to smashing the "fishing records" at LG and he has just won us all over.

Like others, I haven't been watching for many years but this year we were concerned about which chick wasn't full enough, not, as in previous years, when the next fish will come in.

So, Odin has earned his "Magnificent" title for me and long may he return to LG to rear healthy chicks and keep EJ in the manor she has become accustomed:)

• Yes, I agree Gary. In my response to Tiger''s thread I said very similar things. I don't have any experience of previous mates of EJ or male Loch Garten Ospreys . Odin and EJ are my first 'couple'. I too had some reservations when The Girls were teenagers because I didn't know what to expect of male Ospreys but like you I now whole heartedly give him the distinction I withheld at that time. He's certainly won my heart and 'here here' to Odin returning and being with a most deserving EJ keeping her in the manner to which she is now accustomed.

• Tiger, I agree with all you say. I always admired Henry and have read many articles on Ollie.Ej may have preferred OVS but he was never my choice for her. I am now just waiting and hoping that Odin sees the job through and stays around and teaches his daughters to fish. There is nothing to show from his performance this year that he won't complete the job and prove yet again how magnificent he truly is..

• The legend that is Odin:=

Found by I.R. in remote woodland in deepest Northamptonshire.

• Like this Alan Odin is certainly a God among ospreys.  I watched last year and in no way was EJ's mate as caring as Odin has been.  Magnificent provider and back to full strength after the unfortunate episode with the fishing line,  helping EJ to bring up 3 beautiful girls in Rothes, Mallachie and Garten.  Not standing any nonsence from intruders and just being a great Dad.  To think they will all leave us soon makes me feel quite emotional but is has to be and we can only wish the best for all of this wonderful family.  Wonderful Odin and EJ please return next March and raise another family for us to watch in wonder as the whole process starts again.  Well done Odin you are the best.

Margobird

• Alan somebody else tried to hang Odin with the fishing line but as all like all heros he overcame the adversity because his purpose was to raise the magnificent three a job he has done admirably. Carol for someone who has many years of watching the ospreys at LG you must be pleased to see such a wonderful outcome this year after the disappointment of last year and thank you for the information on the previous males as many of us on this blog are first timers.

george g

• Do people have any thoughts on Odin before he sets off on his long journey?

• Yes, I always have lots of thoughts about Odin. I've hardlly seen him. Have had to rely on other people's pics of him. Would like to see just where he is in LG right now. And will miss him tremendously when he goes. I reckon, the first good viz and high cloud he'll be off. Sooooooooooooooooo looking forward to next April and hearing of his return and actually see him wooing EJ again. I've never seen a sky dance so I hope we have an agile cam man next year.

I think he's put in a tremendous performance and  I'm so glad one of his progeny bears a resemblance to him. Marvellous Mallachie.

• 'God Speed'  Odin the Magnificent, hope your journey is smooth and the weather is kind.  Please come back to us next year, and even if its not the lucky EJ who is your girl next time, make sure you hand on those good genes to our Scottish ospreys, to make them as strong and resourceful as you, so that ospreys can reign long in our beautiful land.

• Well I have to still reserve the 10 out of 10 for the wonderful one parent Ollie. But Odin comes in a very close second with an extremely healthy 9.5. I think it is safe to say we are all delighted with this new mate for EJ and are all hoping they both have safe journeys there and back again (as Bilbo would say) remaining as a breeding pair for years to come. A match made in osprey heaven.

Safe journey Odin.