Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Good to see you all! Sorry my internet was out during Hurricane Helene and I couldn't start the thread.

The devastation and rising death toll in the southeastern states is so sad, especially in the mountains where catastrophic flooding and hurricane winds destroyed roads and decimated forests, leaving people trapped without access to power, phone, internet, and basic necessities.

Folks in my community have been holding events to gather food, water, and supplies for the hurricane victims. The goods are sent by plane or truck and then loaded onto helicopters, ATVs, or mules to be taken up into the mountains. Thousands of power company trucks and lineworkers have been deployed to do the very dangerous work of restoring power in such high, rugged terrain.

My area didn't have much flooding, but we had the remnant high winds, which downed trees. Some folks lost their homes. My neighbor came over to check on me, and he said we escaped damage because our small town is on a hill on one side of us and a tall ridge is on the other side. I don't have insurance that would have covered this event. I feel blessed to be okay.

Hugs and love to everyone!

• RUSTY    yes a great show.......Pitlochry never fails us,

• So envious of those who saw the Auroras, both Borealis and Australis.  Was struck that the skies in AQ's post are so red while many that I've seen of the Borealis over the years are greenish.

AQ:  Glad you had the chance to sort things with Daughte #1 and it's just wonderful that you're getting out and about with friends!

• Well, I said there would be two busy days – and they were!  Some things happened unexpectedly, some things got cancelled, ditto, and others have been postponed awaiting the next flood of new arrangements – uurrgh!  Today is quiet – so far – and I have been looking for things to do.  We shall have to go to Tesco this afternoon despite the rain – I need to go with E-E as he can’t make a choice which needs doing.

LINDA – I hope you are not getting this rain for your final visit to Wales this year – and that you will have a better journey home.

HARELADY – you made good use of your stay in Galloway for the Book Festival!  We used to go annually for a few years – even drove down daily a couple of times then found a nice place to stay in Wigtown itself which was easier.  I love the countryside down there, but also like Kirkcudbright for visits – did you get to Broughton House and Garden?  Or the Isle of Whithorn?  I hope the car will be kind to you for the weekend and then the nanny-days.

DIBNLIB – I really enjoyed Blood Brothers the several times I went to see it – last time being in Liverpool!

AQ – sorry you had ben having a difficult time with Dau#1 – glad you have cleared the air now and can enjoy time with family and friends and doing the things which give you pleasure.

Now I need to sort out a pile of paper which has been growing on my desk – why does paperwork breed?

• OG - here in my part of North Wales today it is lovely. Breezy but sunny. I hope it is the same for Lindy and her OH. I hope your shopping is successful this afternoon. 
    Yesterday I had a very pleasant trip to Leeds on the train to meet up with my school friends. I left home at 8am and was back by 7pm. I caught a train which, when I changed, enabled me to catch the train my friend from near Liverpool was on. We proceeded to chat for the rest of the journey. It was a 10 minute walk to the restaurant where we met up with the other friends (from school 60 years ago!!!) We had a very nice lunch and, as you can imagine, much conversation. Those of us catching trains walked back to the station and went our separate ways. I am pleased to say that all the trains were on time. Why Leeds you may ask? Well. We are all from that part of the world (we were at school in Bradford) and a lot of the ladies still live round there. They did come over to Liverpool in May but I was on my Finland holiday then. 
    Today I have been shopping. I met someone to have a chat with in Tescos and then bumped into a former colleague so we had to have a coffee. I was out much longer than anticipated as I actually didn’t need a lot of things!!!!

This afternoon I am going to a soft play place for an hour or so to sit in at my great niece’s 6th birthday party for her little friends. It is only down the road as she lives on the same area as me. The family party is tomorrow. More on that then! 
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

• OG   Thank you for the birthday card which came in todays lunchtime post.....it will join the others on display.