Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Good to see you all! Sorry my internet was out during Hurricane Helene and I couldn't start the thread.

The devastation and rising death toll in the southeastern states is so sad, especially in the mountains where catastrophic flooding and hurricane winds destroyed roads and decimated forests, leaving people trapped without access to power, phone, internet, and basic necessities.

Folks in my community have been holding events to gather food, water, and supplies for the hurricane victims. The goods are sent by plane or truck and then loaded onto helicopters, ATVs, or mules to be taken up into the mountains. Thousands of power company trucks and lineworkers have been deployed to do the very dangerous work of restoring power in such high, rugged terrain.

My area didn't have much flooding, but we had the remnant high winds, which downed trees. Some folks lost their homes. My neighbor came over to check on me, and he said we escaped damage because our small town is on a hill on one side of us and a tall ridge is on the other side. I don't have insurance that would have covered this event. I feel blessed to be okay.

Hugs and love to everyone!

• No, Rusty, I dont, LOL!! 

• Good morning all - Ive been away in Wigtown in Scotland with my Daughter for the annual book festival.  We couldn't get to it all so went up on 4th and home on 8th. We went by train to Dumfries then hired a car. We stayed in Newton Stewart and in-between events we had a lovely trip to Kirkcudbright.

Diane - Thanks for starting us off again and glad you are safe.

I have just caught up with all your posts and the awful weather in Florida is top of the news here. Hoping those with family in the area are all safe.

Lindy - great news for you and your OH. Enjoy your last weekend this year in Wales.

AQ - so sad to think of those who do not understand where they are and why. But it sounds like your OH is being looked after well.I would be guided by the doctors re visiting. Make the most of some spare time and not being restricted with time. Laughed at the shoes comment.

Rosy - you are right that the person in the care home soon forgets but the partner and family are the ones that feel bad

Heather - I feel the same that I should post more but everyone on here is very understanding and supportive,

OG - glad you had a normal Sunday - I went to church in Newton Stewart.

Rusty - you never seem to stop! But its good to get out and about and have varied hobbies. I have just enquired about joining a hand bell group.

Dibnlib - your friends positivity will get her through and belated birthday wishes. I had my bithday in Scotland on Sunday.

Annette - I need to do that with my garden and plan to have more in pots next year.

Pat O - excellent advice.

Cirrus - good to hear from you.

Well its Friday again tomorrow and I will be driving to Surrey to friends for the weekend. We have the theatre on Saturday to see Juno and the Paycock by Sean O'Casey with Mark Rylance - looking forward to that. Then onto my Sons in London for 2 days of nanny duty. Thats if my little car will get me there as its been playing up lately but I will get it booked into my garage when I get home.

Have a good weekend all and take care.

• HARELADY  We used to enjoy a stay at "Creebridge House Hotel" in Newton Stewart.  This was under family ownership a lot of years ago.

OG  Our usual favourite hotel in Pitlochry is undergoing refurb at the moment but will be opening again soon and we will book for another stay......not really happy as it is no longer a family concern but we will see.  

We are off to Eden Court this evening to see "Blood Brothers",  looking forward to an evening out.

• Dibnlib - I have seen Blood Brothers twice and both times have been in floods of tears when “Tell me it’s not true” is sung. I hope it is a good production. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Pitlochry. 
    Harelady - glad you got to the book festival. I hope you found it enjoyable and interesting. Enjoy your trip to Surrey and then your nanny duties.

Mt friends and I had a very pleasant day at RSPB Conwy. Rather cool but dry and mostly sunny. We saw lots of species of birds but, apart from 17 little grebes, nine of the others were in great numbers. I like the walk back along the estuary with great views of Conwy Castle.

• Lindy - it was true. I really haven’t been birdwatching for several weeks!!! It was good to get back to it. I find it really relaxing and I like the company of my fellow birders. Naturally we had a good lunch in the cafe at the reserve and then I bought some Christmas cards and my new diary in the shop.

• Lovely pic of the castle in the sunshine  Rusty. Don't blame you for letting your playing membership go at the golf club - it needs time and it's really time consuming.

We got to our holiday  home feeling weary as our journey was dragged out by several large queues - two big roadworks to negotiate and no alternative but to sit crawling along or stopped. Glad to finally get here and put the kettle on.After a quick meal we sat down and I dozed off - my OH was watching football. Later, he took Bonnie out for her walk before bed, and returned saying "Quick, come and look!!" 

I went outside in slippers without a coat and we gazed at the wonderful Aurora Borealis!! It's just been mentioned on the weather forecast on TV and apparently its visible all over the UK if you have clear skies. We saw a navy blue sky with a tinge of green, and a large patch of reddish pink. We could hear voices behind us as others were outside seeing what was visible.

Such a thrill. Never fancied going all the way to the very cold North to see it!

• Lovely pic of the castle in the sunshine  Rusty. Don't blame you for letting your playing membership go at the golf club - it needs time and it's really time consuming.

We got to our holiday  home feeling weary as our journey was dragged out by several large queues - two big roadworks to negotiate and no alternative but to sit crawling along or stopped. Glad to finally get here and put the kettle on.After a quick meal we sat down and I dozed off - my OH was watching football. Later, he took Bonnie out for her walk before bed, and returned saying "Quick, come and look!!" 

I went outside in slippers without a coat and we gazed at the wonderful Aurora Borealis!! It's just been mentioned on the weather forecast on TV and apparently its visible all over the UK if you have clear skies. We saw a navy blue sky with a tinge of green, and a large patch of reddish pink. We could hear voices behind us as others were outside seeing what was visible.

Such a thrill. Never fancied going all the way to the very cold North to see it!

• Lindy - How lovely to end a difficult day with seeing the Aurora Borealis!  Apparently it was also seen as far south as I am, but sadly not by me!  I was in a meeting at the time in a place with no windows ... but when I came home the 'half-moon' was very bright and low and the stars were magnificent.  At the moment our street lights aren't working - which is a pain walking home in the dark, but the wonderful sky makes it worthwhile.