Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 September 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPERMOON and HAPPY LUNAR ECLIPSE!

I hope everyone has a good week.

The moon turns full on Tuesday night (17 September) in the US and early Wednesday morning in the UK. It's a very close supermoon, so it should be beautiful. A partial lunar eclipse will be at maximum right after the moon becomes full.

The autumn equinox is next Sunday, 22 September.

You can find the exact times for the full moon, the eclipse, and the equinox by putting your town or city name in the search box at www.timeanddate.com. It's a safe site.

Hugs and love to everyone!!!

• Thank you, friends for reassuring me that I am relatively normal ! 

• Just popping in quickly before I go out to lunch!!! (lol) 

Diane - I didn’t sleep much last night so I looked for the full moon and the eclipse. It was a clear night and I had a super view. It was of course, only partial, but I saw it so I was pleased. 

• I saw the full moon last night - but didn't think it was as good as the previous night!  Maybe because on Monday I was driving home from a meeting and got the full benefit of it from several different angles.  Last night it was just through the window.  I didn't see the eclipse - but gather there is another quite soon which will be 'bigger and better' - so will make a point of trying to see that.

• I didn't look for the moon last night - should have done...

I forgot to say, LINDY, your apple and raspberry pie looks great ! I'm sure that it has all gone now.

Looking at the Kelpies, I'm sure that I've seen them but can't remember when. I think it may have been around the same time as OH and I went to see the Falkirk Wheel. I remember OH being fascinated and very impressed by that.

Well, after the excitement of the new boiler I have another Happening. The fascia boards on the south facing side of the house are apparently rotten and scaffolding is arriving today so that the joiner can replace them . It should only take a couple of days. I hope that the soffits are not needing to be replaced as well. Fingers crossed !

• A sunny day here, after initial grey mist again. We went to the Optician's but a long story so I'll relate it later.

AQ -- Our athletes complained about the food too, at the Olympics - lack of choice and also small quantities!! In the end, they brought in their own chef from elsewhere.

OG - We found a metal dogbowl in the cupboard to replace the broken one. Something  good about things all being standardised in terms of size, these days!!

Annette - Bonnie is 10 this Christmas - it's gone quickly. Its just 'mature' for a Spaniel so she's still in her good years.

• I keep forgetting to ask my fellow radio 4 and World Service listeners - is it me or are there many more repeats these days? I leave the radio on low all night and I'm quite sure that some things on the World Service have previously been on Radio 4 and vice versa. One example - I have heard about cocoa growing in or on the Ivory Coast about three times, recently. 

• Heather - I think so as well.  Like you, my radio is on quietly all night and I'm sure there is much more cross-programming than there used to be.  Saving money?  Guess so ...  I do occasionally hear the odd gem, but most of the time World Service doesn't seem to be as interesting as it used to be.

• Couldn't agree more, PAT !

• My radio is also on all night. I agree that I hear the same reports and programmes on the World Service and on Radio 4. There seem to be an awful lot of business and finance programmes!!! Also, why is “From our own correspondent” presented by one person on the World Service and another one on Radio 4? I can see no reason for that and the BBC must have to pay 2 fees. 
    Lunch out was disappointing. A much reduced menu was on offer as they hadn’t got any gas for cooking apparently. So, I had soup which was nice. The idea was then to have a pudding. I chose the lemon meringue pie. They didn’t have any left!!! So I said I would just have a de caf coffee. They hadn’t got any de caf!!! To be fair, the restaurant is really good and we have had great meals and service there before. They were just having a really bad day. I risked a “real” coffee. So, soup and coffee was a cheap meal. The only trouble was, I had to think of something to make for tea. First world problems though aren’t they? I am warm and well fed here. 

• Heather:  Hope the joiner didn't discover any further damage.  I haven't listened to any radio for a while but I do know that NPR (National Public Radio) will repeat items from their Morning Edition in the All Things Considered evening news - and sometimes things carry over to the next day. So it's not just on your side of the Pond.  Our local TV news must not have anyone working on weekends because they are always replaying 'soft news' from around the area and I'm always shouting "Old news! Old news!" at them.

Rusty:  No gas for cooking?  Hard to run a restaurant without that, but as you say, First World problems.

AQ:  Niece safely in Adelaid after what she called 'The flight from hell.'  On the London-Doha leg the plane was half empty so she had a whole row to herself with all the associated pillows and blankets, but not so the second leg from Doha to Adelaide.  Apparently the plane was full with generously proportioned people spilling over their seats, while the folks in the row in front kept theirs reclined most of the flight  (10-11 hours).  The cabin was very warm and they also had a lot of heavy turbulence with all the predictable upset stomachs (hers included).   Re clothing: She's taken a good variety so she's prepared for whatever...

Take care all.