Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 August 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I think the wildlife are preparing for an early autumn here. We had some chilly nights this past week. The hummingbirds left for their winter homes. The Black Vultures are gone. Plus, this week, I saw a huge V of Canadian Geese headed south already. 

I hope everyone has a good week.

Love and hugs to all!

• So now it’s Wednesday – I thought last week was muddled – that was before this week overtook me!  Each time I nearly find a chance to get to the study and ask E-E to bring me in here, he is doing something else or helping J with something.  We are all worn out with medical stuff – again.  Monday the cleaners came.  It was one of their 2-hour sessions, so E-E went shopping, but roadworks delayed him, so he only just got home in time to move me out of their way.  I believe it was bank holiday in England and Wales but not in Scotland, but Tuesday morning J got a doctor call in response to an e-consult request.  She talked with him and arranged a blood test for the next day.  The trainee nurse couldn’t get any blood, so gave him stuff for different tests and made a phlebotomist appt for today.  He wasn’t able to provide the samples needed but did get satisfactory bloods taken.  His walking isn’t safe enough to get to doc at present so all these involved lifts to town.  This morning the podiatrist came.  E-E has an ingrown toenail, but not serious and he also had a broken nail which needed tidying up.  She had to dig quite a lot out around both my large toenails, but only one needed a dressing – it is quite painful now.  I have appt for blood tests tomorrow, so we hope to be able to deliver samples from J!

Weather has been unbelievable at times, but I have mostly avoided going outside in the rain and cold wind.  Will now look back to see when I last wrote.

ANNETTE – sorry your niece cannot call in on her travels, but nice that she is getting her fares paid to visit Oz.

HEATHER – not surprised about the grape leaves fading – OH reported today that runner beans are doing same!  I shall be lost if they stop early – usually go on into October!  Are there rigs off Montrose now?  They repeated that TV programme “The Rigs of Nigg” – I recorded it intending to watch it again as it was very interesting, especially how many women engineers worked there!

PAT – my mother always refused to pick blackberries in August – told me the devil is in them until September.  Perhaps that was to prevent me getting tummy ache from eating them under-ripe!

DIBNLIB – there do seem to be a few projects around to save the Clydesdales and other Heavy Horses – we would miss them if they die out.

Well, dinner will be ready soon, so I must stop now.

• OG - I have been surprised how early - and delicious - the blackberries have been this year.  Hopefully they will last into September, although most of those that are reachable have already disappeared.  I do feel I have had my share this year - but will still hope for more!