LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• In Sandra’s absence, I thought I’d post a few photos to show the couple are still here. Hugging

15.28 NC0 had arrived on the nest a couple of minutes earlier, fish calling.

The male landed and started mantling. He didn’t have a fish.

NC0 thought she’d better check and stuck her head under his tail end to look.

They both started mantling and chipping, but any intruder was unseen. 

The male left around 15.32

NC0 stayed on the nest for a while. She fish called,

had quiet contemplative periods and did some preening.

She left around 18.07

©️SWT/LOTL

• Thanks Glider, how long has cam been on, I couldn't get anything late this afternoon when I checked?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

WendyBartter said:

Thanks Glider, how long has cam been on, I couldn't get anything late this afternoon when I checked?

My stream restarted automatically at about 13:30.

First sighting I got was someone with a small fish on 'n off the nest at about 14:00:

About 1h30m later, NC0 appeared and fish-called and the male arrived fishless.  I expect that's what GLIDER has covered.

EDIT - Just noticed Glider's "15:28" time stamp, so I wasn't far off - what a miracle Laughing

EDIT2

fish!

IMAGICAT

• Lovely to see NC0 getting a fish, thanks Scylla. Hugging

• Good morning All,

Many thanks for the reports and vid whilst I have been 'AWOL', so very much appreciated Hugging

Posted on LotL Fb yesterday

The male delivered a headless fish to NC0 at 7:48

She remained on the nest to eat

The male has brought nesting material/sticks to the nest since then and NC0 has been on alert a couple of times too - no threat was seen.

She brought her own stick addition at 11:10

NC0 has remained on the nest and, at present, 11:47, NC0 is quietly preening

11:51

I will be restricting my time watching and reporting at the moment but will check-in every so often. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Thanks for the update Sandra, good to 'see you' Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Ash and Wendy!

There was another headless fish delivery at 15:25. The male flew side-ways onto the nest, no way of seeing the size of it at that point

NC0 collecting it

She took the fish over to the right side of the nest

He cleaned his beak on a few occasions before leaving

It was only after the male had flown off that she began to fully tuck in to her meal

At 15:36, NC0 was just about to swallow the tail, when the male delivered another - very small this time!

In his right talons here

NC0 with the fish tail in her beak

He began to eat...

Then she raced over to collect it

Off he went

NC0 remained on the nest to finish this one as well

©SWT/LotL

• 17:52 The male has been back to the nest since then (no fish). NC0 fish calling at present

BBL

©SWT/LotL

• The cam went offline at 17:59 (NC0 was still fish calling). No new YT URL as yet (19:17)