LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

• 20:24  Blue ringed intruder hovers over nest, Asha flaps it off and it flies off

• I guess this is now a 3-egg year for Asha.  If she were to have a 4th it would have been due today.

• I wondered where everyone was when I posted my first update this morning. I'm  certainly not usually first to post in a day.  I did have a 'page not found' earlier today, and opened a new tab to try again.

My brother fishes, so I've  sent him a link to Scylla's  vid., and have asked for his thoughts.  Thank you Scylla for such a descriptive vid.

I'm delighted to read that Brodie is back in fishing mode with another fish this evening. Two fish of such huge  sizes are all she needs at the moment. Brodie will have to step up when the osplets hatch, and even more as they grow.

I would only expect three eggs this year. I would dare to suggest that four is unusual, and their relationship is still developing.  I'm  so looking forward to seeing them working together when the chicks hatch.   Do eggs hatch, or chicks? Grammar!!

I wonder who the cheeky blue ring was!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    Do eggs hatch, or chicks?

I'm not sure, Sheila, but we do call little chicks "hatchlings", so... ???

Here's the most misbegotten video I've ever done - Asha and the Ravens, one in particular - I don't think there were any Osprey intrusions at that time.

It's hours long, I wouldn't bother if I were you!  And I tried to lower the wind to allow the voices to come thru but it was impossible, so I lowered the volume all the way thru (Sheila will witness it was necessary) until almost the end, when there was a good Raven vocal.

Here's a Raven+Asha slideshow from the PTZ:

IMAGICAT

• Scylla, you do such an incredible job with videos, and now slideshows too.  The transitions are seamless and the closeups are amazing.  Thank you.  That raven really looks spooky!  

I haven't got the evening intruder - it occurred right between the end and beginning of 2 sessions, on both the Nest and PTZ cams!  I hope it wasn't Klive!

Brodie visted for nearly 15 minutes from about 19:53 (dang, I had the time in my head and it's gawn!) - it seemed for no particular reason ???  Nice to see.

IMAGICAT

THREAD CLOSED

NEW THREAD FOR MAY 2024

IMAGICAT