LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

• I've  tried going back on my tablet to see when Brodie was last seen.  Possibly when Asha brought backthe fish.ihave failed, so have no idea how long he's been away.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I've  tried going back on my tablet to see when Brodie was last seen.

Canuck's post at 10.33 this morning on previous page as far as I can see Sheila

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I replied last night, Wendy, and through doing an editorial on my previous post, I managed to delete it,but didn't realise at the time.  Brodie brought in a second fish at 13.11, and Asha returned with it, probably an hour plus later.   Brodie hadn't been seen since that exchange.  I will go back over this morning and see what happened earlier today.

• Brodie is back!

Tuesday 30 April 2024

A dry morning with clouds and and breaks.

07.47        Brodie returns with a stick, not a fish.  Asha flies away.  Brodie settles straight away.

07.47    Asha returns and chatters at Brodie.  She moves sticks, and natters.  Brodie stays put.

07.48   Asha flies off again.

07.51   Asha returns with a thicker longer stick which she drops across Brodies back, then pulls sticks from underneath him,  Telling him to go fish.

07.54  Her calls are longer, and louder, and she leaves again.  Brodie stays,incuabating.

07.59   Asha returns, this time with a smaller stick, moves sticks from under Brodie, hitting him in the face.  Natter, natter, fish, fish, fish.

08.04  Brodie still makes no move, and Asha flies off again.  What has he been up to since mid afternoon yesterday that has made him so tired, and reluctant to lear?

He checks the eggs, and goes down again.

08.10   Brodie turns the eggs and settles.  He looks around for Asha.

I'll continue looking

• I see a post of mine about 4 am this morning has completely disappeared. Seriously unimpressed!

• Pleased to hear all is well with Brodie thanks Sheila

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Overview - Brodie is OK, but hasn't been seen since 08.10

10.54                  Asha appears alert. 

11.27                  Intruder.  Asha sped off the nest towards the old nest, and back.  Two osprey seen in the skiy

11.28                   One osprey seen in the sky, top left.  Asha settles over the eggs, but keeps an eye on all around her.

11.32                   Asha leaves again, at speed.  Top left, 

11.33                   She returns, and two birds are seen in the sky.  Asha settles.

11.49                   Asha flies off again, to chase an intruder seen in the sky.  She returned, followed by an intruder.  Possibly a raven., possibly another osprey.  No sign of Brodie.

11.54                   Asha took flight again. 

11.57                   Large black bird (?) flew over the nest as she returned.  Raven?  Crow? 

11.59                   Large covid seen flying down behind the nest.  Asha watches, but does nothing.

12.02                  Corvid tried to land on the perch.  Asha flapped it off and intruder called, the piggy snorting intruder call incuded.  It could be seen flying around in the back ground and back again,  It tried to land several times, and Asha flapped it away. 

12.03                  Corvid back again, and this time Asha took chase.  Corvid continued to attempt to land, but Asha held her stance.

12.06                  Corvids back, flying around the nest, and over it.  Asha intruder calls, but stays over the eggs.

12.08                  I've had to turn the sound down, the wind is very noisy.

12.10                  Asha intruder snorts again., but stays put.

12.11                   Raven on perch, its mate is also around.  Asha has to stay put, otherwise eggs could get taken.  Once one is gone, the rest will go.  Be careful 

Asha is being tormented by a pair of raven.  Yikes!

12.18      Asha has flapped it off twice, and noit is walking down the perch, taunting her.

12.20  Still there, cawing at Asha.  

I'm not sure how long I can watch this!  Ashs keeps flapping at it, and it backs up the perch, cawing, and sipping down to the nest.  Again Asha flaps, again it back up

12.21  A more viscious flap and it has gone, but is still calling, off cam.  Asha rearranges a branch, and

12.22 she finally settles.

• I will post again what I said in the wee small hours to Sheila… I wouldn’t be worried… The Selfish Gene suggests the male should be catching fish, eating at least some for himself and then visiting every local Osprey nest in the area looking for an unguarded fertile female.

There's been a serious system failure on this thread!  I just came here and was greeted with PAGE NOT FOUND, then after trying to go back a page via browser < arrow, another blank page with apology "we son't know what happened".  I think there were 3 blank pages with failure messages on them.

EJFan said:

I see a post of mine about 4 am this morning has completely disappeared. Seriously unimpressed!

Not just yours!  I was so surprised to see SHEILA announce that Brodie was back when I'd already done so, the very next post after your "I'm not concerned about Brodie" post.

Nobody could have missed it, I posted all these huge snaps Astonished

It's remembering what I said that's the problem now *eek*

Comfort break for Asha:

Brodie in with small stick:

Another angle:

He took over and Asha flew to this tree for a while:

Asha then visited with various sticks:

Brodie gratefully took off:

ALSO

I think this video is missing and given the time it took to create I'm posting it again - it's Asha's day yesterday until nighttime when she had no support. 

Please fogive if it hadn't disappeared, I'm so confused.

IMAGICAT