LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

Thanks for the updates, EJFan :)))

This is for students of immaterial detail Laughing Well, some may think it is, and some of it may be - just to see little behaviours and how nicely Brodie is incubating.  The intruder makes a fleeting appearance near the end.

I'm off for food and maybe a nap.

IMAGICAT

• I'm sorry I haven't  been here so far today. I prefere to use my lap top, but it won't  start up properly so I can't use my login. It worked earlier when I trawled  the cam to find the intruder and to snip it. It had a coloured ring, but could have been either sex  given the short visit.   My vision has been a bit odd today, and I'm  going to the optician later today.

Brodie has incubated, but Asha is on the nest now. It looks, cold and windy with rain clouds heading this way. 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• No Scylla, it was one last evening just before your post around 21.00 something!

Edit:  I see that post now, very strange that I got that message, yet another glitch? Thinking

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The rain clouds passed without a downpour after all.

• 12:46 intruder attempts to land. On cam chat reported as blue KL5 - database = male 2020 Loch Ness

• Hope it doesn't cause the problems like last year

• KL5 or possibly KLive from Cirrus.Fergus has been a constant thorne in LG's side

From my notes  Blue KL5(20)m Ringed by Fraser Cormack at the north end of Loch Ness July 2020 

17 June 20.16     intruded LG Scylla

www.youtube.com/watch .

4 July                  around the LG nest when both chicks 1C1 and 1C2 fledged.  

5 July                  Intruded LG nest, with Blue 1C1(22)f, she didn't defend the nest, but later she died;  she had an enlarged liver and was suffering from salmonella poisoning.

19 August           Landed on LG nest, nestorising. 

17 May 12.20     KL5 intruded at LG, hovering above the nest where Asha was incubating.  Brodie had been missing since 16 May, and he brought his last fish on 15 May 18.10 - he returned and provided well! 

26 June               KL5 intruded at the LG nest again. 

8 Aug                  Made a prolonged attack on the nest with 2C4 and 2C5.  2C4 was injured, with a lot of blood showing.  But next morning seemed OK. 

25 April                KL5 tried to landed on the nest while Asha was incubating two eggs.  She flapped him off.  I can't check again, but I think he went to the old nest structure - on PTZ.

The bad weather's been coming 'n going, very trying for Asha and probably making fishing difficult for Brodie.

EJFan said:

12:46 intruder attempts to land. On cam chat reported as blue KL5 - database = male 2020 Loch Ness

Oh no !!! CryAstonished

Last season his early intrusions weren't aggressive but look what he got up to at the end

I think that Brodie just turned up without a fish and he's taking over, but can't swear to it - I'm off !!!  SYAL x

IMAGICAT

SheilaFE said:
    KL5 tried to landed on the nest while Asha was incubating two eggs.  She flapped him off.  I can't check again, but I think he went to the old nest structure - on PTZ.

It's clear on the end of my vid, SHEILA.

And I'm so sorry that you are having problems with your hardware and with posting snaps.  I feel for you because I still have probs here - and I miss your usual style - but am so grateful for the commentaries x

Must go now.

IMAGICAT