LOCH GARTEN - April 2024

(I am starting a new thread for April because, for sad personal reasons, Korky cannot be with us until further notice so the March title cannot be edited.)

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro.

Asha and Brodie

Last year they arrived on 04 and 14 April respectively.

The end of the 2023 season was marred by the aggressive intrusion of BlueKL5 "Klive" (thank you, Fergus).  We have no idea if the 2 youngsters were fit to migrate.

We haven't heard anything from HQ but it appears that the cams are not quite ready, despite snaps being posted to Facebook 10 days ago together with a query about the lack of IR for the third year in a row - and the streaming is unsteady and unreliable.  When LG issued a warning about a delay to the opening of the season, it seemed to refer only to the Visitor Centre.

The PTZ now

Quote RSPB YT Channel: When the Loch Garten Nature Centre opens on April 15th, this camera is controlled by the centre staff during work hours, so please be gracious if you find it staring at an empty tree! The birds react quicker than the staff are sometimes able.

IMAGICAT

• A few snips

06.07  Brodie and Asha on the nest

06.34 Asha as the sun rises 

Brodie standing proud

11.17  Asha tries the cup for size

12.45  A quick hand-over of a headless trout

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Yes please do, so envious that you are going to be there.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• My goodness Sheila, it must have taken you all afternoon to write and post that detailed report, thanks so much, pickies lovely as well.

They have settled back so well together this year, WTF are my working days, so away for a catch up 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thank you EJFan .  You are correct.  I will edit my post.

• 16:38 to 16:45 Asha moved around the same branch until she was happy with final placement.

18:22 Asha brings in a whopper of a tree.

SheilaFE said:
    It's just so nice to see them settled, matings, two fish, lots of sticks and nestorising, and looking companionable in each others company.  Long may it last!

Yes, they look much more at ease this season, I hope they'll be allowed to get on without disruptions.

I had to take the whole day off with a jippy (sp? and is it a word even?) tummy, what a lovely surprise to see your sterling work, Hugging

IMAGICAT

• Morning all! 8:10 c. 18 inch headless RT. Good start for the day!

• I'm so sorry you have been under the weather, Scylla, and hope you feel more yourself today.

Morning EJFan.

11 April 2024  a very windy day, but with blue sky and sunshine, and large clouds in the distance.

I checked chat, but also observed

05.25  An Brodie can be seen in the dark flying in, and mating or attempted mated.  He flew off.

05.30  Daylight.  A clear day, blue sky and large clouds.

05.42  Brodie flew in to mate, and flew off.

05.54  Brodie flew in and landed beside Asha.

Hello dear:

05.57  Attempted mating.  Being blown in the wind.  Brodie flies off.  06.01 and returns.

06.02  He tries again, but the wind stops his balance, and he flies off, and returns with a stick.  Once more they stand side by side  and Asha shows no aggression.

06.27 As the sun appears on the horizon Brodie flies in and has a successful mating.  Off he goes.

0808  The sun is up, and shows off the deep cup which the pair have created

As EJFan has already reported

Asha quickly flew off with it, and Brodie kept himself busy with the nest., bracing

against the wind, moving twigs, nest cupping.

09.26 Brodie flew off.

09.28  Brodie returns with a stick.

Edit:  not sure why I have differing sized snips!  It's not deliberate 

I'm off now.  May be back late afternoon.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

Very sorry, I've taken so long to do this that it's out of order.

10 April - as per Sheila's reports yesterday, here are two of Asha's sticky sticks Grin

I'm not hopeful that she won't succeed in blocking our view again!

IMAGICAT

• SheilaFE said:
    not sure why I have differing sized snips!  It's not deliberate 

and all - I'm going to post instructions in the Tech Test thread, will link here when I've done it.

EDIT

No I'm not - I can't get it to post, am tearing my hair out.

IMAGICAT