Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 March 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY EQUINOX!

The spring equinox is Tuesday night/Wednesday morning in the UK and US. It's the autumn equinox for AQ. (Hope it cools off soon, AQ.)

I am glad to see the end of winter here. I was sitting on my front step in the afternoon sunshine yesterday, and I heard a loud squawk. I couldn't locate the bird, but I'm hoping it's the Great Blue Heron returning to this creek.

Most of the birds that migrate have now arrived.

All: Make sure you check back to last week's thread. LINDY and others left some evening posts before I started this new thread. Hope you're feeling better, LINDY.

I hope everyone has a good week.

• Lindy - I hope the weather continues to be nice for you.

Annette - I hope the condo is pretty much ready now.

OG - I hope you are feeling better.

I am back from an amazing 2 day trip to the National Arboretum. I will eventually try to find words to describe my thoughts and feelings. What a beautiful peaceful place it is. This photo is the main memorial wall which most people will have seen. If those of you overseas haven’t heard of it, may I suggest you Google it and get the basic philosophy behind it. We even went to the service of remembrance and 2 minutes silence at 11am today. They hold it every day including Christmas Day. 

• Hi all:  Really depressing news about Catherine.....    AZ contingent FINALLY left there around lunchtime today, so will be rolling in here around midnight.  Oh joy.   Then they'll unload in the a.m. and turn around and go right back with the borrowed truck and trailer (thank heaven the owner - a close friend of theirs - is driving) , load up some more stuff in granddaughter's car, and be back here for good on Tuesday.  I've made several suggestions to make things easier but they have fallen on deaf ears.  Everything else is finished.   I'm ready to crawl in a hole and pull it closed behind me.   

Still prefer some kind of old-style pagination rather than the newest/oldest/likes version.  Don't know whether I'm coming or going.....

• Looks like they had more tornadoes on Diane's area last night....

• ANNETTE: I'm not aware of any more tornadoes. It actually has turned cold here, with below freezing temps. Back on March 14th, we had 2 dozen tornadoes and dozens of injured. I think what you're seeing are media coverage of the "official" damage and injury reports that have just now been released. So now people can move forward with the clean-up, insurance claims, and rebuilding. The governor signed the Disaster Declaration today, so it's all back in the news tonight with the government agencies' findings and photos of the destruction. THANKS for caring about me.

I so hope your family can get moved into the condo and rapidly get settled. I know that whole process has been massively stressful and has taken its toll on you. I'm sorry that the renovation and all the details fell on you to handle. I hope you can get a few days to relax and recuperate now. Sending you strength!

• Diane:  Well I wouldn't be surprised if I dreamed it all - but as you say I probably stumbled across old news while I was fumbling around online.  Duh.  Re real estate, let's just say I won't be fixing any fixer-uppers ever again.  :-)   

• Annette - I very much admire you for all the work you have put in for the new abode. It was very fortunate family that you were able to do it. I am sure you will eventually be compensated by having everyone nearby.  You definitely deserve some rest and a peaceful time now.

I still find (as others do) that this site is very confusing., and puts me off posting.

Best wishes to all.

• "very fortunate for the family" Sorry, should have checked. I am defrosting my freezer. I haven't needed to do this for years in previous homes, so I thought they were all frost free now. A step backwards! 

• Annette - Don't blame you for wishing you could go to earth!  It has all sounded pretty exhausting.  Please rest as soon as you are able. 

I too, still hate writing or even reading on here. Never know if I've missed bits out! Bah!!

Hope OG is improving after her nasty episode.

Weather here is changeable now and it rained hard in the night. Sun came out mid morning though and dried up the streets. Not as hot as it was which suits me fine, its just sunny and pleasant. We had grilled salmon last night as I sent my OH on a mission to buy enough for two and he came back with enough for 5! So we've had it twice in a few days.... (Also the bill was horrendous  :- O )

• Lovely day out yesterday pootling around the island- wonderful views through the dramatic valleys. Met these little chaps who are a relative I think of squirrels- fantastic bushy tails & very tame. People feed them bread & biscuits which is of course not good for them. So I was empty handed.

• My OHs hand for size - I took a similar picture about 5 years ago.