Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 March 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY MARCH!

I hope everyone has a good week!

Folks in my region are shaking their heads in disbelief. We've been having stretches of bizarre, record-breaking warmth here (over 73F or 22.7C). Very strange for the last week of February.

The migrating birds are all returning early. The beautiful Sandhill Cranes began to reach Indiana on February 1, and twice as many as normal have arrived here. Even the songbirds are already appearing.

Love and hugs to everyone.

• Thank you Diane.    I bet that unusual heat is welcome not only to earth-bound critters but apparently getting good reviews from those cranes!  :-)

• Good morning, everyone.  The site seems to have changed in appearance - again.  Not sure where this will appear!  Just wanted to share the lovely day I had yesterday (my birthday).  I was taken on a magical mystery tour by a friend.  She had booked tickets for the Attic Tour at Knole, a National Trust placce near Sevenoaks.  The attic tour was fascinating.  I have been to Knole many times, but have never been up there.  If you ever get the chance, take it - well worth it!  Great tour guides, and just ten of us in the party.  Possibly not suitable for those who find stairs difficult - there were a lot, many were very steep.  After the tour we went round the house - they have recently opened several more rooms.  Then a picnic lunch in the car as we watched the rain pour down and the deer graze contentedly.  Then a lovely walk around the grounds, which are HUGE!  That was a bonus - we were expecting rain all day but there was a 'window' which allowed us to stretch our legs for about half an hour.  A super day, and great thanks to my friend.  Now I need to top that for her birthday at the end of the month!  We do this every year for each other and it's always a challenge to find somewhere special.

• Thanks as always Diane. Ive just had a look at your weather and it is indeed very high and odd for the time of the year. Here is Suffolk, where the whole of East Anglia is considered the driest part of the UK - has had its wettest February with whole swathes of the county and farms under water. So what do we think this summer will bring?

Have a good week all.

• Diane - thank you for starting us off. I know the heat is very unusual but enjoy it. I hope you don’t get a cold snap which won’t be good for the returning birds.

Pat - what a wonderful birthday treat. The visit to the attics sounds amazing and so pleased you could get a walk in too. Belated Happy Birthday wishes. 

At last it is a lovely day here. Such a contrast to yesterday. I have done an hours tidying up in the garden but my garden waste bin is now really full. They don’t empty them over the winter (and we have to pay £35 for the 9 months they do) It is rather frustrating because I am in the mood. I fill up black sacks and will then tip the waste into the bin once it has been emptied a week tomorrow but it is a bit of a faff. 

• Thank you again, Diane. We were worried about your bad weather not long ago! Enjoy the bit of warmth.

Pat -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY for yesterday! That sounds like a nice celebration. Glad you were able to get outside.

Sunny here today, which is very welcome. Have put some bathmats on the washing line and put out a new, squirrel proof feeder for my peanuts as the birds just love them but the squirrels have been pinching it all- soo annoying.

• Oh shucks, it's indented.  But Happy Belated Birthday Pat!

• Good afternoon.

DIANE – hope you can enjoy the warmer weather, but it is quite freaky having all these changes and variations.  Thank you for our new week – I hope some of the folk who have been missing will continue to gradually find us with the new format.

PAT – that sounds lovely birthday treat with your lovely friend!  I would never have ventured into the attics even in my mobile days as I can’t stand heights.  Actually, it could be the sort of place where I would go up and then freeze so I had to be helped down with my eyes tightly closed!

HARELADY – I’m sorry for the farming folk in your part of the world – must have lost quite a few fields of cereal crops.  I guess we shall all feel it in the price of bread later!

RUSTY – well done with the gardening.  E-E is outside right now, clearing winter rubbish from the tiny veg patch which we have decided to keep – should have done it in the autumn but it was too wet – familiar words.  We don’t have a garden waste collection – the council had planned to introduce it, but public consultation decided folks would not pay for it!  We have to load it into the car and take it to the recycling centre (or “tip” as it is known!)

LINDA – I have just put the bathmat out to wash – must be spring!  You seem to have found out how to post photos since the upgrade – any advice?  I don’t even know how to begin!

I now need to sort out birthday cards for the month – and also type up the church rotas April to June.  We had a long service this morning – two sermons, communion and admission of three new members!

• OG - it's now easier to post pics - you don't have to worry about finding "rich formatting " - just begin your reply and click on the little symbol for pictures in the bar beneath where you write, then put your picture on.

• But I haven't got a bar with a symbol for pictures!

• It came - and then flew away!  Will try again when less sleepy!