LOCH GARTEN - March 2024

In this opening thread for Loch Garten for 2024, we remember Trevor, who sadly passed away on 20 February. Trevor was a great contributor and friend on the community forum, and especially on the Loch Garten thread and was the last person to comment on this thread to the end of February 2024. 

community.rspb.org.uk/.../1452441

In 2023, resident female Asha returned on 4th April and was courted by various males, latterly ‘Unringed Male’, with no sign early on of Axel (AX6 - 2016) her partner in 2022. She became the proud parent of 3 eggs (laid on 25 and 28 April and 1 May), of dubious fatherhood, but probably URM (unringed male) – later named Brodie - who had a lot of trouble fending off intruders, which made him a bit flaky in the fish catching and delivery department early on. The main intruder was KL5.

Chick 1 hatched 'early morning' on the 4 June and chick 2 overnight on 6 June. One egg didn't hatch (maybe number 1). KL5 continued to intrude, as did Axel. Brodie disappeared on a few occasions for a couple of days (no fish were delivered over the first weekend after hatching) but he got into his stride on 1 July, delivering fish to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st July. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd July. Ringing day was 12th July - 2 boys - 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) became Harry (Nilsson). 2C5 fledged on 1 August and 2C4 on 2 August.

Asha was last seen on 8 August. Thereafter, the nest became a tough watch on occasion, as KL5 started intruding again big-style, attacking the juveniles. 2C4 was last seen on 11 August, and 2C5 on the 12th. Brodie was last seen on 24 August, but was around less than KL5 who was seen nestorising on occasion and who is possibly shaping up to be the main man for 2024? Time will tell…..

A lovely scylla-snap of Asha and Brodie from 2023 to help us instantly recognise them when they return Grin

• Camera is buffering for up to 30 seconds and playing for about 3 seconds before buffering again. Very frustrating!

The nest cam is streaming smoothly now - despite the rain - but it hasn't been adjusted to include the dead treetop where our residents and intruders alike like to perch:

IMAGICAT

• We still can't view via the LG home page as before, hopefully will be able to soon?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Catlady, on the front page of the LG home page there is now a link which says ‘View Our Live Cameras’. You still have to go through YouTube but only once & then you can see the two nests & the bird feeder cam. Hope that answers your question. Looks cold up there this morning with a light covering of snow.

• 26 March

The nest cam went down yesterday, I haven't tested it yet today.

Snow overnight:

It melted, then more smatterings:

IMAGICAT

• The nest cam appears to be "up" but, watching the timeline, I can see that it's very lurchy - so am not downloading it.  How can we find out if HQ are aware that there is a problem with it?  And they haven't adjusted the view, either. 

Even "Sorry folks, we're too busy to speak to you" would be a relief from the tension

I hate these gifs but need to expresssss !!!

I'm taing a break.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you, I had found this but it is a bit of a faff, when you used to be able to save it as a desk top, click and you were on the nest. I can save as a bookmark

• I haven't been responding to you about the LG home page, CATLADY, because I don't even know how to look for it, I have a total block Thinking

Just as I typed above about not downloading the dodgy stream, a Raven landed on the perch and croaked it's head off and the cam stopped freezing - so I downloaded a bit, but after the Raven left it went dodgy again, as shown.

And right after that, the weather chilled again, with sleety flakes.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla, I have about 12 osprey nests on one page, you could log onto their own site/page and the camera/nest would be there, so it could be saved and all you had to do was click and see the nest. Now, some can only be viewed via YouTube. As far as I can see LG dose not have this on their home page anymore but is on youtube. Never mind my ramblings!! All we need are the Ospreys!

• Just as I typed above about not downloading the dodgy stream, a Raven landed on the perch and croaked it's head off and the cam stopped freezing - so I downloaded a bit, but after the Raven left it went dodgy again, as shown.

Maybe it just needs a solid moving target to home in on?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr