Dyfi Osprey Project 2024

Dyfi Osprey Project 2024

We have some (provisional) dates for opening this year.

"
Bore da
Some general information for you:

1. The Dyfi Wildlife Centre opens on 1st March. That's less than three weeks away!
2. We'll be open Wednesdays - Sundays until the end of March, then every day until September - around 160 days straight.
3. We're working on the DOP cameras and should have live streaming for you by around 20th March.
4. Car Park improvements are underway and our entrance and caffi decking work is almost done.
5. 360 Observatory improvements are on-going; we'll hopefully be ready by 1st March. Will look totally different.

Dyfi birds normally return around the first week of April.
As normal we will be looking out for the return of our adults Telyn and Idris.
It will be very interesting to see any "new" visitors to the nest. There are now several Osprey nests in Wales on private land that are producing young that have not been ringed. This means that un-ringed birds now may be Welsh-born, rather than Scottish as we have presumed in past years.

Work this winter has been on maintaining the buildings and the reserve.
We have removed some trees near the observatory to restore the wetland landscape and it will be interesting to see that develope.

ColinA

• I agree with Catlady that the geese are Canada Geese and I’ve researched the Cormorant behind with the white belly and it seems it is a juvenile. 

• What an amazing information filled summary we always get from Dyfi. As well as their own birds, it’s always interesting to see all of the intruders listed and their facts too, Thanks for your posts Scylla.  Thumbsup

• Catlady said:

I would guess that the birds on the grass could be Canada Geese, unsure about the fellow on the stones behind?

Thank you, CATLADY - I should have made it clear I meant the fellow on the stones.  It looks like a variety of Cormorant, I wondered if it might be a Great.  While googling I found this:

The UK Cormorant population has increased in size and range in recent decades, with more birds breeding and wintering inland. This has led to conflicts with some fisheries, so licences have been issued to kill up to 2,000 birds annually since the mid-2000s.

EDIT

I missed your post, GLIDER, about it being a juvie - thanks to you too !!! Heart eyes

• The official name for the cormorants seen in UK is Great Cormorant. Of course, it is rarely used.