The History of The Loch Garten Group

I was talking to a long standing member of this group and they remarked that I did not post here much but I still know what is going on. Well i still read a lot of the post and this is still one of the best sources of osprey history. 

For the record I have been a member of this group since it  opened on 21 July 2009. That is over fourteen years. 

So how long have you been here and what have ospreys done for you? 

• Thank you. I did not see this immediately.

• What wonderful memories – thanks everyone.

I joined back in 2008, the year of EJ, Orange VS and of course “The Wee Yin”. It was a difficult introduction to the life of the osprey but also fascinating and imo why we appreciate them so much. I visited Loch Garten that year and met the warden David Gascoigne who told me of the life of Henry, EJ and I was totally gob smacked seeing footage of EJ dive-bombing an intruding female.

Another osprey who held my attention that year was Yellow EP at Wigtown. It was his first year breeding and when the female went missing EP rose to the task fishing and feeding his young until she returned. He was just brilliant and in some sense reassuring seeing this in comparison to Orange VS. What also was lovely about Wigtown was their tradition ringing their town bells when the osprey returned - brilliant.

I remember how courageous Maya was defending her nest when 5R failed to return in 2014 and the villain Blue 33(11) winning her and us over, becoming an absolute star. It really has been fascinating following his life.

Yes, nature can be cruel and at times hard to watch but thankfully good times too

• Good to hear from you Karen, will we see you back at Manton Bay this season?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Look forward to it!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great to hear from you Karen. I was wondering if you were still around. 

• Hello Karen!  Not long now until Maya returns!  We must have turned up at the same time.Oh, I so well remember RW when Mrs 5R was swept off her feet by Wonky Wing, and the dastardly 33(11) arrived all gung ho and determined.  We learned to love him! 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Hi Tiger, yes still around.  I've been here so long, I feel like part of the furniture Laughing  I usually take a break from the Community over the winter but come the end of February I excitedly crawl out from the woodwork  knowing the osprey will soon be heading home and another season upon us.  

It is good to see you here and btw, what a great idea starting this thread - thank you.

• Hi Sheila, good to see you too.   Yes, Blue 33(11) has become quite the superstar and adored by all.

You mentioned Logie - another favourite.  I remember when she went missing and Roy was looking for her.  We actually met him at that time as he was doing a talk at Edinburgh Zoo.  What a lovely and interesting man he is.   I think many suspected Logie had been shot as her disappearance was around the same time as the grouse shooting.   Yes Logie - definitely one of Roy's favourites as she was ours.  Another name from the great Osprey Hall of Fame. 

• I think I joined around 2010.  I don't post very often, but read several of the threads.  A few years ago I realised I couldn't follow them all - I do have other things to do in my life - so have mainly stuck with Loch of the Lowes and Loch Garten, both of which I have visited more than once, with occasional forays into Rutland.  Looking forward to the return of those wonderful birds - not long now!