Poole Harbour Ospreys 2024

Well, it's now 2024 and hopefully another successful year for the Poole Harbour Ospreys.

The last couple of years have seen the successful establishment of a nest and raising of young.  

Translocated females From the harbour have set up successful nests in Wales also raising young.

Hopefully this year may see the establishment of a second nest in the Harbour area.

Click  Here  for a link to the 2023 thread.

Here was the family last year

I hope Alison Copland won't mind but here is a link to a video she has made of the 2023 season. It is a must watch for followers of Ospreys, especially the Poole harbour family

Click HERE to watch 

Richard B

• Cannot recommend the Osprey cruise highly enough, the BoPH team make sure everyone’s aware of who and what is around, and where to look. They also enforce etiquette of the folk on the action side remaining seated so the other side can stand up and see too, Well, enforce is a strong word, everyone was happy to comply.

I learned something - I’ve always called the resident male Oh-two-two but they say Zero-twenty-two. Will probably take a while to get my head round that, what with being old and all Grin

• So glad you enjoyed your cruise, Geemeff! You certainly picked a good one. To have the eagles interacting with ospreys in this way is wonderful.

• It is thought on the chat that 5R0 may have migrated. He’s not been seen today.

This was him with a fish yesterday. Today he is 98 days old.

5R2, 5H6, CJ7 and 022 are still around.

16.13 022 delivering a fish to 5H6

16.26 CJ7 delivering to 5R2

©️BOPH

• 30 August

The chat today suggests that 5H6 may now have migrated as well. He is 91 days old.

And then there were 3.

Here’s CJ7 with a fish for 5R2.

He has a hold of her toe. Ouch!

18.54 And this is 022 bringing him the last fish of the day.

5R2 leaving with his meal.

©️BOPH

• 31 August.

5R2 is 99 days old today. He got an early fish from 022.

It was live and jumped over the nest.

5R2 went after it.

Got it.

Off he goes.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• 022 returned to the nest for a few minutes.

07.11 So quiet and empty!

©️BOPH

Geemeff said:
    I learned something - I’ve always called the resident male Oh-two-two but they say Zero-twenty-two. Will probably take a while to get my head round that, what with being old and all Grin

As far as I know, the letter O is never used in ring numbers, only 0-zero.  I wonder if it also applies to the letter I?... wouldn't be surprised if they only use number 1.  Can't think of any other confusers Blush