Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLSTICE!!!

The Winter Solstice occurs at:

3:27 a.m. on December 22, Friday, in the U.K.

9:27 p.m. on December 21, Thursday, in Iowa

7:27 p.m. on December 21, Thursday, in California

AND

The Summer Solstice occurs at 1:57 p.m. on December 22, Friday, in Adelaide, Australia. I didn't forget you, AQ!

I hope everyone has a good week.

I'm looking forward to the return of the sun and the longer days!

The light triumphs over the darkness. I hope that's true of our world.

• Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas.
  • Is this thing working today? Not many posts from everyone...... .
  • Yay!! A grey day here, but we sallied forth for last groceries, and as I braved the supermarket, my OH went to the local market to get some sprouts on the stalk. He came back rather sheepishly, saying he'd had to come back to the car park and raid the "parking meter" money in the car as he hadn't taken any money with him!! Last time I sent him shopping he hadn't taken any shopping bags and had struggled, plus he got into dire problems with a Serve Yourself checkout machine <sigh>

(Mind you, I've had a couple of run ins with those, myself!)

I miss OGs chatter, too. Hope things are going well with her and EE.

• Morning all: Just a quick look in to say Hi and wish folks a Happy Christmas. Beyond busy here with one thing and multiple others; much of which will get sorted today - if I get an early start and the weather stays dry. Lots of flooding in downtown Santa Barbara yesterday after hours of torrential rain but garden is thrilled to bits.
  • LINDY We have recently started to scan our shopping as there are so few staff on the tills and it saves us queueing for ages. This year we have noticed that they have put more staff on the tills specially for the Christmas shoppers. The trouble is getting in and out of the car park and parking full stop. Luckily we haven't had much to do as we are away.
  • I have been doing grandmotherly duties today. I went to St. Pancras to meet my granddaughter.
    Tomorrow at silly o'clock we are off to Heathrow. She is flying to Philadelphia to spend Christmas with her Dad.

I will still be food shopping on Christmas Eve. The shops should be quiet by then as the rest of the world was at the station today!
  • Annette - glad your garden is pleased with the rain!!!!
    Rosy - there were big problems at St Pancras with Eurostar yesterday and today they were trying to catch up. No wonder it was so crowded. Good luck with Heathrow. It will be busy too. Exciting for your granddaughter to be going to the US.
    Dibnlib - although I can work the self scanners, I always go to the till. I like the human contact and I feel I am keeping people in a job too.
    I was at a local farm shop soon after 8.30 this morning. I got everything I wanted in the small quantities I needed. I then had a Christmas coffee and mince pie with a friend who lives down the road.
    The rest of the day I was on a mission. Some friends and I had noticed that our friend in the assisted living wasn’t answering her phone or emails. For obvious reasons, reception there would only say that she was in hospital. Another friend eventually tracked her down to a certain hospital and then I asked the assisted living place to put a bag of nighties, toiletries together plus her iPad and charger. I collected it and drove to the hospital. Her daughter lives in the US and her son down south in England so it seemed to be left to us up here to sort things out. She was really surprised and pleased to see me. The main cause of her illness has been sorted and they are now trying to get her a bed in the local cottage hospital so that she can continue her recovery. She needs some physio as she is really struggling with mobility. Of course, there are no beds in the cottage hospital so she is bed blocking in an acute ward where she doesn’t need to be. She is very aware of that. The one upside of her hospital stay is that she is enjoying the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The drive to and from the town where the hospital is was very busy. What usually takes me 30 minutes took me an hour!!! Christmas rush I suppose.
  • Everyone must be very busy today so I thought I would bump us up. Going on my last pre Christmas visit this afternoon to my 93 year old friend who is home from hospital. (Not the lady I went to see yesterday)
    I may have to make a diversion as I have read that waxwings were seen yesterday in the car park of a local store!!!!!!!!
  • Rusty - Hope the waxwings hung around for you!

I'm trying to find a sensible car insurance renewal for next month. I have been quoted more than four times the amount for renewal from my current insurer. How bonkers is that?!?!? I haven't made a claim for more than 20 years. How can they justify that????