Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLSTICE!!!

The Winter Solstice occurs at:

3:27 a.m. on December 22, Friday, in the U.K.

9:27 p.m. on December 21, Thursday, in Iowa

7:27 p.m. on December 21, Thursday, in California

AND

The Summer Solstice occurs at 1:57 p.m. on December 22, Friday, in Adelaide, Australia. I didn't forget you, AQ!

I hope everyone has a good week.

I'm looking forward to the return of the sun and the longer days!

The light triumphs over the darkness. I hope that's true of our world.

• AQ - Just heard from my friend (near Lismore) that it was 24 degrees at 2.00am ... apparently it's been very hot over there. Glad you are keeping cool.
  • CLARE - That's what we call those things small children are pushed in, not to be confused with prams. Apparently UpOver they are pushchairs !!! Do we speak the same language?

• A pusher here is someone who sells illegal drugs, so yes ....... there's a certain difference in language!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• AQ, a good description of crowded streets (except for the pushers). I think you had Clare a bit concerned there!
    I believe Annette and Diane would call them strollers?

Thank you Diane for starting the week. I think most of us would agree that without your reliable start we would fall apart. You keep us going however busy you are, or however many problems you have.
  • Just found out that 2 of the ladies I visit are in hospital including the one in the assisted living accommodation. Oh dear. It’s not a good time of year is it?
    To continue the tale of woe, I kept getting “flashed” when I was out this morning!!! (Headlights that is!!!!) A headlight bulb isn’t working. Fortunately, my lovely garage has said I can pop in this afternoon and they will replace it.
    When I get home I think I will drape a few bits of tinsel. My home decorations can’t possibly match Lindy’s I am sure!!!!
  • Glad you clarified the "flashing" Rusty. The general tone on here is a bit low today, with pushers and flashers!

I also went out this morning on errands, and found the crowded streets (and shops) very similar to AQ's description.
    I think there were almost as many rollators as pushchairs, though. It shows how these have improved mobility for many people who would otherwise not be able to get out and about.
  • Must admit I was confused by "pushers" And yes Rosy, here we call them strollers (but don't ask me why). Grey here today; rain forecast all week.. Yay!
  • Yay Alan!! Great to hear from you. Have a lovely Christmas and a happy and healthy 2024. :-)
  • ROSY - Rollators?

Aussie Language lesson 2 –
    A rollator seems to be a walker on wheels, known to us as a walker. It may or not have a seat.
    A walking frame is what you name a zimmer. (Why? Isn’t that German for “room”?)
    A gopher is what you name a mobility scooter.

ANNETTE – Perhaps called ‘strollers” because the mums stroll along, playing with their mobile phones & oblivious to the child?