Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 December 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The Great Lakes has experienced glorious Auroras (Northern Lights) this past week. The photos have been breathtaking. Nothing to report from my patch, though, except dense fog in the mornings, icy rain during the days, and snow showers at night. I have no wildlife stories to report this week, because I haven't been outdoors at all.

I have some critically important paperwork to complete by Thursday. After that, I've solemnly vowed to resume being a regular poster on this site for the winter. Sorry I've neglected everyone. This year has been rough. I'll be glad to see 2023 in the rear view mirror. :-)

Hugs to everyone! Strength to Heather and AQ.

• The words "new website" certainly fill me with foreboding. Ugh.

OG. Sorry you're still suffering. Get Well Soon!
  • I am reading your posts, enjoying your excursions and photos. Rant alert.

Horrible day. Forecast for high temps, strong winds, thunderstorms, dry lightning, with catastrophic fire danger in some parts of state. I was ready to leave for a morning researching family history in State Library when thunder started. I decided against standing at bus top with umbrella & getting struck by lightning, nor walking through city to library. Rain did not last and storm has not happened (now mid pm) but it is a nasty headach-y day. I’m too fuddled to face interstate χmas cards. At least overseas ones have been posted.

Yesterday Occupational Therapist was expected at 9.30 am. Mr Grumpy washed, dressed & waiting. After 35 mins I rang office who suggested “stuck in traffic”. Rubbish. She rang back to say OT had gone to the 11 am appt by mistake. I hope they were ready when she arrived there! OH wanted to go for his walk but she did arrive before 11.

I am not impressed. She had OH get up & down from dining chair where he only sits twice a day & has no problem . . . ignored his TV and lounge chairs which I have raised with cushions. Checked him walking in & out single step at back door where she realized a rail cannot be fitted anyway. He had to demo sitting on toilet & using shower. So she has ordered rails for bathroom, toilet raiser, a gadget to get in & out of car (which he ignored at trial) and heavy weighed cutlery. Somehow I think she has forgotten to add the shower chair. Whatever. OH won’t use any of these or will complain if he does. The only benefit – she taught OH to shuffle his feet in a square to turn, not to lose balance. So far he has remembered that today. BTW he wants to give up Speech Pathologist (he admits he has not practised exercises). I convinced him to try a second appt which is booked mid-Jan.

• AQ...Bless you, as I have said previously I fully empathise with your situation, sadly my OH , of 57 years, died last weekend, so is now at Peace , Please God.
    It is sooooo difficult , when they are so anti using help aids,but gradually he agreed, the raised toilet is such a help, together with a Perching stool,which enabled him to continue with daily ablutions, as was shower rails in a floor shower in the beginning. One of the Nurses very early on in his decline, said to me " always say YES to everything offered" and this truly proved to be so true.Like you, I tried to be one ahead of OH's needs, and this did give me some respite, very tiring but did save many falls etc.Do hope you can persuade him to continue with speech therapy.
    BIG Hugs and rant away, we all understand.

• SunnyKate - So very sorry to hear about your OH. As you say, he is now at peace. Thoughts, prayers and hugs winging their way to you.
  • SunnyKate - so very sorry to hear your news. Love and strength to you.

• SUNNYKATE - I am sorry you lost your OH after 57 years. Thinking of you and sending my prayers. Thank you for your kind words & understanding. I can't rant to Daus, and my best friend is so full of her own woes, so this page is my outlet.
  • SUNNYKATE - So very sorry to hear of your loss. You will be all at sea for a bit, I'm sure. It does sound as if its a release after a long struggle. My thoughts are with you, and my hugs.
  • AQ -- Hugs to you, too. You must feel as if you're running up the "down" escalator sometimes. I expect my OH would be much the same - I have to remind him to take his pills every day, and he certainly hates being given advice!! Sorry you missed your library session, which must have been an escape for you for a while.
  • Sunny Kate - I am so sorry to read about your loss and send my condolences along with hugs.
    AQ - no wonder you needed to rant. Nothing went quite right yesterday did it? You are having a very difficult time of it. Do rant at us if it helps.
    It is yet another dull damp day here! On the bright side, I met my sister for breakfast at a big Marks and Spencer’s store which is about halfway between the two of us. We had a good hour chatting and catching up. I then went to the food hall and got a bit carried away. I feel very lucky to be able to go and treat myself like that. I got a free loaf of bread with my Sparks card!!! What about that?????
  • SUNNY KATE So sorry to hear your sad news.

OG this cold is certainly hanging on, what a nuisance for you.