Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a wonderful week!

It"s definitely autumn here, and the weather is turning chilly. Over 600 million birds have flown over Indiana during this migration season. 233,600 crossed the full length of the state last night. The scientists use weather radar to track the birds. The birds appear differently from the rain/sleet/snow on the radar. So, the bird data can be separated from the weather data and analyzed.

https://dashboard.birdcast.info/region/US-IN

Below is an interesting article showing how the researchers use weather radar to identify the species, direction, and numbers of birds on migration.

https://birdcast.info/about/weather-surveillance-radar-and-bird-migration-primer/

I haven't seen any reporting on the fate of the tropical flamingos that ended up in the Midwest, including Indiana. I'm hoping they saw the birds migrating and joined a flock of other large birds, such as the white pelicans that migrate through my state.

Hugs to all.

• Unknown said:
    I am bumping this thread up, because a spammer posted on the end of a past Weekly Chat thread, and I don't want folks here to get confused and begin posting on that old thread instead of this new one.

Hope that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense.  I responded to them appropriately.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Goodness, there's been so much written, I don't think I'll remember all that I was going to respond to!

Heather, hope you dont feel too wan, & that they can get to the bottom of it this week.

Annette, fingers crossed for a good drive back home again. Sounded like a nice visit.

Rusty, I think I also had my last visit to The Golden Arches must have been between 30 & 35 years ago! We took our sons for a treat. It sounds as if you had fun.

Rosy - We are lucky with the garden. I don't know if you ever heard my history, but we live in a house which was once my mother's, and she was a great plantswoman - knew the name of just about every garden plant. So of course when we took over the garden it was with some trepidation, and in the1st couple of years I think I killed off a few which we had no idea how to care for. Now, we have put in some things which we love, and moved some plants, and it's beginning to look like a garden again. It's only taken us 20 years, LOL!!

• Lindy - Now you can sit back for the next twenty years and enjoy it!
  • Hurrah! Now I can post again. I wrote earlier, but the' error occurred' again.

Thank you for the garden explanation Lindy. A lovely story.

I wrote a post to express sympathy with Heather. Mainly saying that like everyone else, I am sorry for your health problems and am glad that you have some investigations organised for this week.
    Feeling faint is scary. My OH is a sufferer, and I know that there are many causes.
  • Harelady -- I also get cross with tailgaters. Grr. And as you say, they can often be found in front of you once they have whizzed past dangerously so they have gained nothing at all. I am another "white coat" high blood pressure person - it's always high in the surgery even though I've tried slow breathing and all sorts I have to explain this every time I've had it taken, which is more frequent nowadays.

Lynette, nice to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed your lunch with the vicar.

Clare, you seem to have got rid of the interloper.

OG - Things seem to be going better for you. What the heck is an "NHS Holiday!"???

We've had two mornings now where there was a thin frost layer over the cars. I suppose the plants & trees will look more autumnal soon, now its colder at night.

• The nerines are flowering  and are so pretty 

• Edit:   notice the tiny toadstools also popping up, underneath.

• HEATHER - {{{HUGS}}}

I am out this morn for coffee with Travel Friend - not that we are travelling these days. Woke this morn to 6 C. Lovely spring day ahead.

More reality, not TV but real life, ie falcons

• Morning coffee at Murattis. Difficult decision but I finally settled on a Caramel Creme Brulee (scroll for pic here). We talked so long we just had to have lunch – mine was a toasted Ham Ciabatta (ham, cheese, tomato, pesto, other unidentified ingredients but oh so tasty). I won’t eat for a week.

• Morning all

AQ  so pleased you had some 'ME' time with your friend, and really enjoyed yourselves..

Thanks for the Falcon link, a few of us follow them on this thread on here.

All pictures and videos ©FalconCam, CSU, NSW 2022-23 season's thread One of the 3 eggs did not hatch. KATE gathered this info for us: SunnyKate2 3 Jan 2023 4:24 PM UPDATE NEWS 29th December 2022…
    By in Wildlife > Wildlife on the web
    225 replies

Do hope all will have some respite from ailments etc.