Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 October 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a great week!

• Some good news from NSW about those that used to be known as "fairy penguins". Cute little creatures.

• That's wonderful news. When the article mentions sea eagles is it talking about white-tailed eagles or another species entirely?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Very sad about the falcons. I suppose that is nature. However, good news re the penguins.
  • CLARE - Aussie sea eagles are white-bellied sea eagles. Here and also here.

• Wow. They are beautiful. Thank you very much!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• House is much calmer today -and so am I!

No decisions made at the weekend except a few tasks shared between we three and elder Daughter to "pave the way" for later needs. Actual "conference" turned into an unpleasant confrontation and we found out things we hadn't known before!

J has been told he will not be needed after Tattie Holiday (next week and week after) at local school, but could apply - we are still watching for an advert to appear! He has applied for a real job back at Gretna (not as from the casual list as far as we can tell). It is a reasonable bus journey, and he would welcome an end to the confusion which seems to run the school where he has been a few weeks.
  • Unknown said:
    he would welcome an end to the confusion which seems to run the school where he has been a few weeks.

I bet he would.  That can't be good for the children obliged to attend it.  I'd be really angry if I were the parent of a child there.

Unknown said:
    He has applied for a real job back at Gretna (not as from the casual list as far as we can tell).

Keeping everything crossed for him.  It sounds like he really needs a break.

Unknown said:
    No decisions made at the weekend except a few tasks shared between we three and elder Daughter to "pave the way" for later needs. Actual "conference" turned into an unpleasant confrontation and we found out things we hadn't known before!

Ouch, that couldn't have been nice.  Sounds like it cleared the air a bit, though.

• Morning all: Re Michael Caine - he's very versatile. I also loved Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Was just looking at a list of his films and there are so many I haven't seen. Agree that original The Italian Job was really good, which is true of so many movies: Two other great older movies of that ilk were The French Connection and The Day of the Jackal.

OG: Do hope J can find a better work situation; it sounds like many of the recent offers have been with poorly managed schools. I can imagine things going pear-shaped at a family conference. Still, could be that now some expectations are 'out in the open' people will have a better idea of what to expect and how to plan accordingly....we hope. Sigh.

Had a good drive here yesterday; very light traffic through LA (it was a sort of holiday) and was well on my way until road work just west of Blythe brought everyone to a crawl when 'they' channeled all the traffic heading east out of LA on Interstate 10 into one lane. Aaack. Never mind; the drive heading northeast up to Prescott Valley at sunset was gorgeous, what with the gray, pink and gold on the hills and the bright green/gold along the highway. I say 'sort of holiday' because it's recognized by some states/cities but not others. It was originally known as Columbus Day (in honor of Christopher C's 'discovery' of the continent), but is now being called Indigenous People's Day in acknowledgement of the original inhabitants, who were doing just fine until they were 'discovered.'

• Unknown said:
    The Day of the Jackal.

That's a brilliant film and the Jackal was perfectly cast.

• Just wrote reams, then pressed something & lost the lot!
    Aaargh!!