Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a good week. Enjoy the last vestiges of summer! (Winter for AQ.)

Happy Labor Day to Annette and bjane.

• Heather B said:
    Had a discussion with youngest daughter. She suggested that as well as making lists, we take and print photos of ' my stuff '.

She's got her head screwed on.  Never underestimate the ability of family members to become grasping once you're gone.  I sincerely hope that doesn't happen in yours.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks Heather, I had an Email from the detective this morning that my statement is excellent (do I get a gold star?) and has now been forwarded to the fiscal. Definitely progress.
  • My Grandparents once told me that if there was anything in their house I wanted I had only to ask and assured me that they would say no if it didn't suit them. I have a lovely tall Moorcroft vase which I love. It is tall enough for Gladioli.....
  • PS Lovely memories of my amazing Grandparents.
  • My sister and I used to visit my Dad’s cousin up in Edinburgh quite frequently. She was always trying to get us to take things. We could use the excuse of being on the train for not doing so. When she died, we chose one thing each. I have got a watercolour painted by her of North Berwick. I went there with her once back when she was still driving, and have found a photo of me standing in pretty much the same spot. So, the painting means a lot. Not valuable but personal.
    Lindy - I did laugh at the tale of your unfortunate parcel but, really, it shouldn’t have happened, especially twice. We have Sahara sand on our cars round here too.
    Dibnlib - I love it when the geese come back and the noise they make as they fly. Some pink footed have already arrived on the Dee estuary but eventually we will get 1000s. There were also a few Barnacles at Burton Mere last week which is more unusual for round here.
    Well done with your statement. I do hope goes towards moving things along more quickly.
    Oh dear Annette - it wasn’t your day yesterday was it? I am glad the glasses could be fixed. I know I have been posting photos of my holiday but I always realise how lucky I am to be able to go on them. (Heather - I am glad you are enjoying my little tales) I have one friend in particular who has hardly travelled for all the years I have known her and I don’t talk about my holidays with her unless she asks.
    This morning I went to a local beauty spot where they have a very nice cafe. I booked the Christmas lunch for my Flora and Fauna group. We go every year because we like to go for a walk along the path there first before eating. It was so nice this morning that I had a little stroll along the path under the trees by the river.
  • Morning all:

dibnlib: Congrats on your statement re your bro. I love all the signs of seasonal change; they're not as dramatic here and tend to last for weeks and weeks by which time we're often approaching the next change

Rusty: Oh I'm fine with your and everyone's escapades around the country. I was just so tired and frustrated after a hectic day. 99% of the time I'm amazed at how fortunate I am.

Take care all
  • Good evening, all. I'm pleased to say that in a fortnight's time we're booked to have our flu jabs - and our local surgery has just informed us that we'll be able to have a Covid booster at the same time, if we wish. No-brainer, that one.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Evening, Clare. My OH is booked for his flu jab in about a fortnight, but has only been offered a shingles jab at the same time. Don't know when they'll offer me either, as I come into the next category after him. Nor do either of us have any idea if we'll be offered a covid jab, if at all. But of course you and Limpy are quite rightly, priority.

Dibnlib - I 've got everything crossed that your long wait for an end to this, comes soon.

Annette - You sound tired and you've had such a busy time. Take care.

It's been another odd day -- after a warm and oppressive morning, the sun came out after lunch and it got hotter again. I was pleased to see my OH return as he'd been out playing golf at another course. He was hot and tired as they'd played the whole 18 holes which he reckons is about 5 miles. I made him a mug of tea and he sat in the garden for a couple of hours. He hasn't done anything to the new door today, although I expect he was intending to. It needs a handle putting on it, and painting to match all the other doors.

• How is everyone coping with this weather? I am finding I get thoroughly exhausted – the mornings are not too bad, but the evenings seem to totally lack fresh air – none of our usual pleasant breezes – and the nights are equally stuffy.

Yesterday was busy here – a lot of domestic tasks, including freezing some purchases from Wednesday and sending OH to the tip with garden trimmings of various kinds and a few large items which had been waiting to make a load. Today we had our visit from the hairdresser.

CLARE – I don’t find Morrison particularly pricey – I find not much to choose between all the supermarkets these days, but we do tend to buy things which are “on offer”. We don’t have a Lidl locally, although there is one in Dumfries. Your local NHS always seems to be one of the first with the autumn vaccinations – glad you are both booked in.

DIBNLIB – sorry the court belatedly decided they needed an extra statement as well as that of your OH. Well done producing the excellent statement! Glad you were able to see and hear the geese – but it does make winter seem close! Our Barnies will probably not arrive until the first week in October, but we shall be seeing Pinkies and Grey-Lags.

LINDA – OH went outside to do some watering last evening and there were a few drops of rain (like four drops per square metre!) We waited to see if anything would develop as it felt very thundery, but nothing happened. It will have to be done tonight – but is an easier evening so not too demanding. How annoying it must have been to receive the second parcel wrapped the same as the first – but it will have saved you some money now you decided to accept the refund.

RUSTY – I hope your friend’s general fitness will aid her recovery from the surgery!

ANNETTE – glad the AZ contingent arrived safely – that is a huge journey for your GD to drive so often. I hope you will all have a wonderful family weekend. Pleased to see the injection has relieved the sciatica. Sorry you are feeling a bit down – you do deserve some big blessings, and I hope something really good is on its way to you soon.

HEATHER – not so many leaves in our gutters, but seedlings growing (weeds, trees etc) in what the birds leave behind! I do hope the family will not give you too many worries about sharing the house contents. I like your daughter’s idea of cataloguing your property with photos. I keep telling E-E we need to dispose of stuff now, rather than leave it for the family to sort, but he doesn’t like to think about it – should be easier for our family, except that the girls are still not speaking! At least there is little monetary value in any of it!