Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a good week. Enjoy the last vestiges of summer! (Winter for AQ.)

Happy Labor Day to Annette and bjane.

• Anyone here do yoga?  You'll love this article ...... in fact you'll all enjoy this article.  I nearly died laughing!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Utterly!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare -- I saw a similar article this morning, in a different paper. Hilarious!! I used to do yoga and found it very beneficial. We often laid down afterwards....

Still hot here, and humid. It's not actually been very sunny, but still so warm I've had to retreat to our cold(er) sitting room. My OH has been busy again -- one of the bedroom doors was damaged (don't ask!) so we went to buy a replacement and he spent the afternoon sanding it down to fit and putting on hinges. It's not fitted yet, as I made him stop for a break, twice, in this heat. Ironically, he's been working on the lawn so now he'll have to cut the grass at the weekend to get rid of all the shavings!
  • As promised:

The Tale of of the Parcel Which Made Me Laugh Out Loud

I saw some special offers, and decided to treat myself to a very nice looking serving dish for the table. One of those made by the French company which makes the very best kind of of cooking pans!

Two days later, to my surprise, it promptly arrived. I carried the parcel through the hallway and was a little concerned to hear a tinkling noise. As soon as I opened the outer box, I found lots of bubble wrap, around another, inner box. When I sliced this open I found the dish in about 18 pieces! Not surprising, as there was no wrapping or protection of the contents at all.

I rang up the Customer Care Line and explained the situation. I said that the manufacturers were very lax as they hadn't taken care with the packaging. She apologised profusely and promised to send a replacement.

Two days later, the replacement arrived. I took it from the courier and walked through the hall with it......... Before I even laid it on the table, I was laughing. I could hear a jangling noise!! Of course, it was identical packaging and inside revealed a dish in 8 pieces. Still laughing, I went to my OH and said "Just look at this!"

footnote -- I rang Customer Care and made the girl laugh "The first parcel had 18 pieces in it, and the latest only had 8 pieces, so you're getting better!"

I'm having a refund, not another replacement.
  • Lindybird: Good grief! Hope the message about proper packaging reaches the right person.

Clare: Never had a yoga class end like that! Have forwarded the Guardian article to my yoga teacher and buddies. Maybe the caller was worried a mass suicide or something..... :-)

G'daughter and Ms. D are in town, stopped at daughter's house; will see them here around 5 p.m.

Was feeling a bit put out last evening (attack of the "poor me's") after a hectic day which ended with me getting up from yoga class (still alive) and kneeling on my glasses just as I as looking around to see where they were! (Handy person at the spec shop fixed them in a jiffy this morning , thank heaven), but right after it happened I got a text from a friend saying she'd had a 3-hour tour with an archeologist while on a visit to Pompeii and was on her way to Lucca before heading to a small town near Florence. That was followed by another text from another friend saying she was "off the coast of Maine" attending a watercolor painting class. And when I'd finally got home yesterday afternoon, bumped into a neighbor who is leaving for a Fall Color cruise off the New England coast on Monday. What is wrong with this picture? On the plus side, shot doc gave me seems to have sorted the sciatica...grateful for small blessings, etc., etc. (but wouldn't complain if I had some big ones). :-)

Take care everyone.
  • Forgot to say that 3 mornings ago at about 7 am we heard geese fling so low over where we live. The sight and sound was wonderful. We look forward to many more as I guess this was the first migration of the season.
  • Dibib -- I just love to hear the geese talking to each other. One of my favourite sounds.

It's a bit strange here this morning, as its very warm (although not as hot as yesterday, yet) however the sky is clouded over and a funny colour. Yesterday we awoke to find every car in the street covered in Sahara sand! Our estate car is grey but now has spotted decor, and looks as if its had a makeover by an artist!
  • Lindy, I know what you mean about Sahara dust,, yesterday my Bins were covered, having been left out ready overnight... I loved the Parcel saga it did make me smile,,why dont they listen when you first inform them Doh!!!!!

Annette sorry you had to hear read, all your friends escapades. life seems to have some very cruel twists, you are certainly allowed to feel .Poor Me'..Pleased to read the injection seems to assist.
    Take care and BIG HUG from the UK

• Hello all
    Thank you for your news - and RUSTY - am enjoying your travelogue !
    ANNETTE - Good that the steroid injection helped you to gird up your loins.... Hope that the family help in the house - and enjoy the wedding :-)
    LINDY - oh how I would love to know what happened to the door !!! Plus - what a carry on with the glass dish!
    OG - I can see my gutters from the upstairs rooms as it is a dormer house - they look OK as no nearby trees.
    DIBNLIB - You've been thinking about this problem with your brother for a long time. I hope resolution is not too far away.
    My stepson has started mentioning items that he would like to take from the house ( and I'm not even dead !)
    I have no problem with that (!) But am anxious that things from my family don't get mixed up with it all. Problems with a blended family ... Had a discussion with youngest daughter. She suggested that as well as making lists, we take and print photos of ' my stuff '.