Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a good week. Enjoy the last vestiges of summer! (Winter for AQ.)

Happy Labor Day to Annette and bjane.

• Good afternoon, all. Blimey, it's really hot ...... though I get the impression that it's even worse inland. Miraculously I survived my weekly stretch class at the local leisure centre this morning - I was tempted to cancel as I had a lousy night's sleep but I'm glad I made the effort to go, even though my glasses are still steaming up! The temperature should be more comfortable for tonight's pilates class. I know, two classes in one day - but the pilates one is more relaxed, which suits me nicely.

Right, time to sort out some lunch as I'm starving.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Limpy had his sixth hydrotherapy session yesterday.  Both of us are at a loss as to how we failed to spot this in the first five weeks:

Unbelievably I spotted this before he did!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, as I am having a quiet afternoon, I thought I would continue with my Hebridean Saga.

If you recall, we had arrived in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.

We went to visit the Standing Stones of Callanish. They are at least 4,000 years old and date from the Neolithic Era. My photos don’t do the place justice because you also need to see the setting in which they are found. They are on a hill overlooking wild moorland with the occasional lochan (small Loch) There is certainly an atmosphere to the place.

From there we visited Carloway Broch. A broch is a sort of defensive habitation for people and animals dating back to about 2000 years ago. This one is also on a hill so that the people would be able to see enemies coming from miles around.

Finally we visited the black houses. These are houses built in a certain style. This is a now deserted village which has been turned into a museum but, especially on Uist, we saw several houses like this which are still occupied. We could see demonstrations of the way of life in this remote community. In one of the houses a peat fire was burning. Volunteers were very keen to tell us all about things. They had lovely soft accents as their first language was obviously Gallic.

• Morning all: Sounds like the summery temps are bringing out all kinds of blooms in UK gardens. I've noticed an unusually early number of orb spiders/webs since mid-August and we've also had more squirrels than usual in the garden trying to hide things in our large pots (crows have been watching though). Wonder what that heralds for the winter...we're alleged to be having a strong El Nino, which typically means lots of rain.

OG: Some months back there was a garage sale up the road from us. I was suspicious when I saw the driveway full of crusty old guys in baggy jeans. True enough, they were milling around tables piled with tools, bits of machines, wires, cables, old equipment, etc.... We also have screwdrivers, etc., in various 'key' locations, plus two large trays in the garage. I've tried organizing the garage trays , but have no idea what some of the things are for. Oddly enough, the neighbors who held that garage sale 'gifted' me (ahem) with a patio umbrella stand which they helpfully (ahem) wheeled down on a dolly. I went to move it, couldn't budge it an inch and found it was packed with small rocks all apparently forced into a tiny hole from which it seemed impossible to remove them . Decided it was more trouble than it was worth (and ugly too) but had no idea how to get rid of it. Among the various garage tools, found a massive pair of rusty old scissors, so poked some holes in the base of the stand with a large something-or-other, then was able to cut the entire bottom out with the huge scissors, get the rocks out, then put the shell in the recycling bin. So you never know......

Lynette: Surprised - or maybe not - that the new Co-op location is not scooter-friendly, but probably great for folks with cars.

Rusty: As already suggested, don't rush but ease into your usual busy routine.   EDIT:  Just saw Hebrides photos - intriguing history there...

Lindybird: When my sister died, my BiL mentioned a photo that he knew was taken at their wedding that showed all his relatives, but which he couldn't find anywhere. Well I had a print of it that I'd scanned and was able to send it so he could ID the participants. He was so pleased, couldn't remember everyone though.... No cardboard cake (!) but it was 1962 :-)

Clare: Interesting sign (!) The mind boggles. Also intrigued that your pilates class is relaxing; I've always had the impression they can be pretty challenging.

Hope everyone (including Diane/bjane) aren't suffering too much from the high temps. We are unseasonably cool here.....

• Unknown said:
    Interesting sign (!) The mind boggles.

I have to wonder who on earth thought that this would read well!  Still, we had a good snigger over it.

Unknown said:
    Also intrigued that your pilates class is relaxing; I've always had the impression they can be pretty challenging.

It is challenging, but the whole class is done at a slower pace than my stretch class.  Thankfully.  Generally I find myself coming out of pilates feeling pretty chilled ..... though not as much as yoga.

• LINDA – how nice to see a Poppy in September – enjoying the sunshine.

RUSTY – glad your “get-up-and-go” is returning – but don’t try to rush it! Thanks for pics of Lewis.

CLARE – intriguing door notice – makes you want to peep inside!

ANNETTE – would have loved to eavesdrop among the old guys at the garage sale of tools – I bet they knew what each thing was designed for – and a few other uses too! Enjoy your cool – we are very hot here right now – I was physically exhausted last evening.

Been to Dumfries today. Started by delivering numerous pairs of redundant spectacles from the three of us to a man who knows where to send them. Decided it wasn’t worth driving through to Loch Arthur for a lettuce and a jar of chutney, although lunch would have been good. So we stopped at the Arts Centre Café where we shared two excellent sandwiches – one prawn and the other cheese savoury – and OH still needed a hunk of “rocky road”! We also looked around one of the exhibitions – oils by a lady who obviously likes clouds, sky and weather! Might have been tempted if we had a spare wall! We also went to Morrisons where we got most things on the list – including rather inferior salad leaves. J was out when we got home – I guess he went to Caledonia Park for lunch, although I had advised that the early morning weather was best for venturing out.
  • Been reading but not posting anything on here as been busy with statement re my brother.
  • Unknown said:
    We also went to Morrisons where we got most things on the list – including rather inferior salad leaves.

There's a Lidl down the road.  It's quite sad but we buy hardly anything in Morrison's now - too many of the prices have rocketed.

• I shop at Lidl a lot now. Their turnover is so high that their vegetables and fruit are much fresher - and cheaper.
  • It’s true. Lidl near here has the reputation for the freshest veggies.