Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 September 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a good week. Enjoy the last vestiges of summer! (Winter for AQ.)

Happy Labor Day to Annette and bjane.

• Unknown said:
    What is it with men and machinery? My OH has more screwdrivers, wrenches, and other unidentifiable tools, not to mention multiple discarded medication bottles filled with screw, nails, nuts and bolts (not that he ever uses any of them..

Oh, blimey.  Limpy is exactly the same - the house is stuffed to the brim with his stuff.  And yet he keeps on trawling through Lidl for more.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Annette - I would love to go back to France. I haven’t been since before covid and I need a fix!!!! A few days in Paris would suit me. I love that city. I did a work exchange there for a month at the beginning of the 90s and got to know it really well on my days off.
    Lindy - please send your OH over here too to clean my carpet. I was only thinking yesterday that it could do with a clean!!!! I did have a local firm in years ago when I had my old carpet and they did a good job. PS. He could bring his lawnmower too LOL!!!! I have decided it is too hot to cut the grass!!!!
    French seemed to be well received yesterday. People commented that, although it seems simple, they didn’t really know much flower and tree French vocabulary. I enjoyed listening to the paragraphs people had written about gardens they had visited. A huge variety from big places which are open to the public to gardens of friends.
  • Hello all. Thanks to all for interesting news. Congratulations to Amy and hope the sky-jump for Erica goes ahead
    on a rescheduled timetable.

What lovely weather at present, just as the kids go back. It looks as though this sunny, hot weather is set to last the
    week and then turning to more normal temperatures next week. Had our lunch out in the garden on Sunday, it does
    make for a very ambient lunch break. Been out on my scooter today down to our local greengrocers and chemist. Unfortunately the Co-op has moved into new premises further down in the village right on a dangerous bend. Not many of the residents approve but when the local council would'nt approve the plans as well as our district council, they went to appeal and won. I for one will not be shopping there on principal. They have pulled out of the main part of the village and left it without a food outlet which would have been helpful for the elderly residents, instead they have to walk farther to get to a food outlet. We still have a greengrocers, chemist, and hardware shop .

Enough of my griping, its too nice at present although I find it too hot to sit outside and prefer the shade indoors,

Clare, wow, what an amount of pics you took, you'll have to post a few at a later date.

Hope you're all enjoying the present weather.
  • I thought I wrote something this morning, but maybe I was remembering yesterday! I have been busy tidying my desk – which involved dealing with a few things piled up beside my PC and typing some magazine content. I also spent an hour sitting outside while OH was dead-heading the Osteospermums – they are the bright coloured ones and are blooming well again now along the edge of the deck – very pretty in the lovely sunshine.

LINDA – good to hear one of the lawnmowers is going – although there used to be a lawnmower museum in Southport – don’t know if it is still there. S-i-L with robomowers has a larger garden than us, so plenty for the two to cut. Other S-i-L bought a ride-on mower when they married and moved into the current garden – don’t know how big it is as I have never been there. Daughter’s granddaughter calls it “Grandpa’s tractor”!

ANNETTE – I smiled at the paths most travelled on the carpets, because wheelchairs leave grooves everywhere, so everyone knows where I have been.

CLARE – I don’t mind OH having a collection of tools as he is quite handy at minor repairs etc, but why does he need a collection in a drawer by the bed, another drawer in the study, a big set in what I bought to be his one-and-only large toolbox and separate plumbing and electrical boxes?

LYNETTE – glad you have been out in the sunshine some of the time; sorry about the Co-op move – so inconvenient for folk with no transport.

OH is outside again, but I wanted to stay in and finish this. He is emptying pots of “disappeared bulbs” – wet weather or mice to blame!
  • Sorry, not had time to come on today. But this morning noticed that one of my beloved poppies has decided to throw out a last, late flower. It turned its face to the sun, as we've had another summery day.

• Lovely poppy, Lindy. I can't believe we have an azalea in full flower ... in September! Strange climatic happenings ...
  • Yes. Lovely poppy Lindy. I went and had a look at mine but - nothing!!! I think my get up and go is coming back! I walked to the local shops this morning and I have cut the grass. I just plan a quiet afternoon reading though.
    Lynnette - what a nuisance about the Coop moving to a more dangerous place. Could the council put in a pavement or something? They must realise they have customers who will find that location difficult. No joined up thinking - but don’t get me started on all the other things I could list!!!!!!!!!!
  • Another sunny hot day (could be the hottest day of this year, in parts of the UK!)

Have been toiling away, trying to label many photographs scanned by my daughter in law of my family - she is scanning all of my mothers many albums, and trying to label every single picture. Then she and my son asked me to name everyone! Unfortunately, the first album consisted of a lot of group photos of both family and friends at my parents wedding in 1939! Not for the 1st time, you wish your parents were still with you to tell you things! One or two people are unknown and could be either cousins or good friends of theirs.

They all look ridiculously young, although my mother was about 23 and I got married myself at 24. She told me that they had one of those 'cardboard cakes' where the wedding cake was bolstered up by a false layer of cardboard pretend cake, and only one layer of actual fruit cake on the top! Rationing....
  • OG - Every year we have several pots of Empty Bulbs, I think the squirrels must have them.

Edit:  Rusty, see you came on just now.  Glad you're feeling a bit stronger.  Don't overdo it yet!!