Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!!

The moon turns full Wednesday night/Thursday morning in the US and UK. This is a special moon. It's called a Blue moon, because it's the second full moon in a single month. It's also called a Supermoon, because it's so close to Earth's orbit. This will be the closest moon of the year. I'd insert a link with more info, but seems like that's not accepted now. 

Everyone have a good week!

• You can see the Irish Sea in the background.

• RUSTY more pics, thank you......just one thing (I hope you don't mind) the wee dram is spelt without the E.
  • I laughed to myself, because I went up close to read the plaque at the base of it, carved in slate, and it was entirely in Welsh!! So no idea what it says, sadly. (You need to enlarge the picture to see it)

• Another lovely summer day. This morning we went to church (and J to his too). The service today was led and preached by the ordinand we currently have on a placement – he was excellent – plenty of learning in his content, but all well-explained.

After lunch, the three of us went to the final “Fun Day” of the History Festival. This included a very good display by a Kite Club. The wind wasn’t quite strong enough for very high flying, but the huge kites were well-enough airborne to be entertaining. There were also stalls (I bought some lavender bags and a bird nesting box), rides, games etc for all ages, and we met up with a lot of folk whom we have known in various contexts over our years here, so a lot of reminiscences.

DIANE – thanks for yet another new week – it doesn’t seem 7 days since the last time - where are the weeks going to? I shell watch out for the full supermoon! I am awake a lot at night but apparently never at the right time – I suppose it would be more realistic if I could get out of bed and to the window to see it!

ANNETTE – pleased to read that your OH is getting better – that surgery must have been a shock to his body! Thanks for the laugh at the Orange Menace – although it really isn’t a laughing matter, in fact it is very scary to think of even the possibility of him regaining power!

RUSTY – thanks for the continuing holiday report and photos; the machair is particularly lovely with all the colour. Wouldn’t the wee dram have been Scotch Whisky rather than Irish Whiskey?

LINDA – sorry about wi-fi problems at your holiday home! Where was that monument with the Welsh inscription? Enjoy the remainder of your visit – and then home to more tomatoes! Ours have taken on a new lease of life in the improved weather.
  • Dibnlib and OG - I knew I was probably wrong when I wrote it!!!! Soooooo sorry. Not a mistake I will make again!!!!!
    Lindy - I enlarged your photo to look at the Welsh with a view to getting one of my friends to translate it. Sadly it is out of focus.
  • Lindybird: I too am intrigued by the carving. Which Heritage Center were you visiting?

Rusty: Turquoise water and a silver beach - lovely even with the overcast. I always wonder about how Mother Nature comes up with these combinations; I wouldn't expect turquoise waters in Wales.....

Scotch Whisky vs. Irish Whiskey? No wonder I'm never sure......
  • Annette - the beach was on the island of Uist in the Outer Hebrides. Mind you, there are some gorgeous beaches in Wales too. I was at this one in Pembrokeshire earlier in the year.

• No worries, Rusty. When I was an editor (I worked in book publishing and then in medical research), I had a long, long, long list of words that are spelled differently in the US and in other countries and cultures. I could never remember them all. I especially had trouble with the letter "l". Traveled or travelled? Canceled or cancelled? The answers always depended on whether the document was for release in the US or an international audience. We kept "convention" sheets for each doc to keep them consistent. It was mind-numbing sometimes. I remember whisky vs. whiskey.
  • RUSTY: I keep forgetting to tell you that I have so enjoyed the installments describing your recent holiday. It was so much fun reading them and looking at the photos. If I had the money, I would take that exact vacation, except I would add Shetland and some places in Ireland. Maybe if I hit the lottery some day.... Anyway, thank you for taking the time to post. It's been a hard summer here, and your posts have been a joy.

LINDY: I also ALWAYS enjoy your photos from your own garden and from Wales. Wales is such a glorious place.
  • Have you ever visited the UK, Diane?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.