Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!!

The moon turns full Wednesday night/Thursday morning in the US and UK. This is a special moon. It's called a Blue moon, because it's the second full moon in a single month. It's also called a Supermoon, because it's so close to Earth's orbit. This will be the closest moon of the year. I'd insert a link with more info, but seems like that's not accepted now. 

Everyone have a good week!

• ANNETTE - I'm also missing AQ ...
    So sorry that you are in a lot of pain and I hope that you can be helped x
  • Oh, dear, Annette - that's not good. Do try & get help, as Heather says.

OG - it's been an ongoing saga at the site, with many complaints, as of course people expect and need to be able to be online. Some even go there to do some office work in peace!! There has been a lot of 'modernising' of various things as some very expensive & large new lodges have been erected on the prime places overlooking the sea, and of course if you invest in one of those, you expect all bells and whistles!

Latest news is that we are eventually to get connection by wire from the village up the road, who have already been converted from signals. This might happen late next year. We shall see.

Harelady - Well done on coping with the youngsters - very tiring, I know. Pat yourself on the back and take a rest, now.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. I had a pleasant day, with several visitors at one point, who all arrived at the same time which was a tiny bit of chaos as several dogs were involved who all milled around, getting underfoot! Then we had a quiet lunch, although as we hadn't booked it the girl who greeted us said you're welcome if you don't mind some delay as there are two staff off sick! We decided we weren't in a hurry and stayed. It was slow service and the young man who brought our drinks said he was usually in the kitchen out of sight, but all was fine and we both enjoyed one of my favourites, fish, & chips, followed by my OH having sticky Toffee pud and I had brownies. 

Later,  we were not hungry for anything at all and just had a small slice each of bread & butter! I smeared some Marmite on mine.

• Picture of my dessert yesterday-- brownie with strawberries, and topped by marshmallows! Sadly the cream played havoc with my stomach later - I wish I had asked for ice cream instead.

It was very nostalgic going back and seeing the posts from 2009. Many names we no longer see, now. I do see Gary on Facebook and he and his wife are well. He still comes back to the UK to visit his mother. I often think of dear Margo and of Brenda.   Edit: how very pleased Margo would have been to see the success of the Poole ospreys, and to hear that white tailed eagles are now returning to parts of the UK.

• OG -- I saw the report about the accident at a holiday park, and pointed it out to my OH. Sometmes it's very concerning that parents are not more caring of their children. Once we were on holiday in a Spanish resort, and there was a beautiful garden there with a swimming pool in the middle. People were sunbathing in various corners and others enjoying the pool. A week after we got home, there came a sad report in the press that a 3 year old boy had drowned in the pool when no one noticed him. Immediately you think "Well, someone relaxed too much and took their eyes off him with fatal consequences."

Still no AQ -- hope everything's OK in Oz.

• Fathers Day tomorrow. As teachers were on strike yesterday, Dau & Trio visited us with their homemade cards. We all went out for hot chocolate. . . and eats for the growing girls.
  • AQ: When Ms. D (age 12 and at 5'4" can eat us all under the table), her Mom said she was probably going to have another growth spurt because Ms D had a tiny tummy bulge which granddaughter says happens right before she shoots up another inch or so. I said the reverse was true as you get older: You develop a tummy bulge, then shrink a bit, then develop another bulge and shrink a bit more, then....   

Lindybird: I'll have to go back and find the Weekly Chat from the early days and find out what I was doing back then when I wasn't watching the webcam. Not sure I could cope with marshmallows with my chocolate brownie and strawberries and yes, ice cream might be a better option.

Granddaughter and Ms. D will both be here again next Thursday for grandson's wedding on the Saturday. Ms. D is flower girl (more like flower tomboy). Grandson and his fiancee will have the wedding and reception for family and friends at a venue that has a swimming pool (he said I should bring my swimsuit but I told him there wasn't a swimsuit in the world I'd be caught in these days). OH and I will drive up for the wedding/reception and I may drive up again for the party on Sunday. Daughter, granddaughter and Ms D will stay in a hotel up there for the weekend. I'll get to dog-sit Pearl.

Can't believe it's Saturday again tomorrow. How does this keep happening!!

• AQ.....Lovely to see your post, especially with so much going on in your days.
    Take care of yourself my lovely, and know everyone here misses you and sends their love.

Annette... I know, just where do the days go,as we get older/ancient !!! If not careful one day merges to the next Ha!!!
    but I do have my large friendly weather station , by the Kettle , to ensure of the Day Date and Month CHOL:):)

Hope everyone in the UK will take advantage of the upcoming next few days of SUMMER....

• aquilareen said:
    Fathers Day tomorrow. As teachers were on strike yesterday, Dau & Trio visited us with their homemade cards. We all went out for hot chocolate. . . and eats for the growing girls.

That sounds wonderful.  I hope your OH really enjoyed seeing them all - that will have done him good.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Now that the problem posting links seems to have been sorted out (THANK YOU!!!!!!) I thought you might like this story about this lovely, music-loving dog.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• AQ - lovely to hear from you. It was nice that you had a visit from your daughter and the trio but not that the teachers were on strike. Obviously it’s not just here in the UK where so many strikes are happening.
    It’s lovely and sunny here this morning but I am finding it difficult to get going. I hardly slept at all last night. I think it’s all post covid related. Anyway, I am going to see some friends this afternoon at their house. We will have a cuppa and a nice chat. I haven’t seen them for a while what with holidays and covid.