Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!!

The moon turns full Wednesday night/Thursday morning in the US and UK. This is a special moon. It's called a Blue moon, because it's the second full moon in a single month. It's also called a Supermoon, because it's so close to Earth's orbit. This will be the closest moon of the year. I'd insert a link with more info, but seems like that's not accepted now. 

Everyone have a good week!

• ANNETTE so sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you are able to enjoy the wedding.
  • Hi – I think I missed Friday. There was a lot going on and I think I spent plenty of time making sure I was in the right place at the right time (here at home, I hasten to add – although OH went shopping). We had to sort out the various parcels which had been delivered Thursday evening; will now have to do some measuring and sometime take new trousers (only wear at-home type) to the local sewing shop for shortening. New duvet covers have been washed and dried. Supposed to be a gardenwork afternoon today.

LYNETTE – all the talk of MARGO’s cat reminded me of yours – how are things with him now? Enjoy the match.

HARELADY – I lost touch with George a while back now – he seemed quite upset after the last time we saw him – I think my immobility reminded him of the loss of his wife. He was quite a bit older than most of us.

RUSTY – no idea what we might do at Christmas – I am still trying to forget that autumn is on its way, let alone winter! We have real summer weather this weekend.

ANNETTE – I think the game Lynette is going to will be Rugby League. I hadn’t realised you have a family wedding coming soon. I hope all the planning, travel and dog-minding goes well. I hope the injection will help the sciatica – those steroid injections are usually quite successful.

AQ – welcome back! I hope your OH appreciated the visit for Fathers’ Day – did he join in the hot chocolate outing?

SUNNYKATE – our weather station with calendar etc sits where I can see it from my place at the dining table. It isn’t working quite right at present with the actual weather – not receiving the signal from outside all the time. Because it is okay sometimes, and we can tell by its flashing when it is wrong, we aren’t rushing to replace it, so can still see what day it is – sometimes the only way I know! Of course we did try fresh batteries inside and out.

OH is almost ready to take me into the garden to direct dead-heading various planted pots and troughs – I am hoping he will use the leaf-blower to suck up all the dropped petals from the Geraniums – they really are lovely, but make such a mess.
  • Morning all:

Clare: Hadn't realized the problem with links had been sorted, so thanks for the update.

dibnlib: Pain not as bad; am doing low-impact exercises/stretches, alternating ice/heat pads, popping ibuprofen, etc., and pasting Salonpas stickies on various places. :-) I smell like a pharmacy! :-)

OG: That's a lot going on. I have various similar chores piled up....Thanks for the info re George. He was always so kind driving his relatives to various medical appointments...

Take care all.
  • Goodness! I'm out of date again... Been busy in the garden etc.

Rusty - I keep saying it -- be kind to yourself. I felt tired for a month after I had covid, and it seems to be the norm.

Annette - Glad you're a little better, and hope both you and your OH can cope with the excitement and long day of attending the wedding. It sounds fun!

Yes, I remember George well. He was indeed kind to others. One of our few male contributors!
  • AQ - Now I look back, I see you're with us again. Hope your OH enjoyed his little visitors on Father's Day. Hot chocolate sounds good anytime.
  • Hello, everyone. I have just got home after a lovely day watching show jumping at Hickstead. Sadly, I can no longer afford annual membership, so can only go on the 'free' days - so today and next Friday, Saturday and Sunday will have to satisfy me for this year. Hoping I might be able to budget membership next year, but sadly I rather doubt it ...

Now I'm exhausted, and trying to keep awake watching the US Open tennis ...

Hope all those with aches and pains are not suffering too much. In haste and exhaustion :)
  • Pat O said:
    I have just got home after a lovely day watching show jumping at Hickstead. Sadly, I can no longer afford annual membership, so can only go on the 'free' days - so today and next Friday, Saturday and Sunday will have to satisfy me for this year.

Sounds like my relationship with Bempton Cliffs.  I have to make do with only a couple of days a year there - not because it's expensive but because it's five hours' drive away.  The gannets will always guarantee my return, though.

Hickstead is somewhere our daughter will have to visit in the years to come.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thoroughly recommend Hickstead for Helen, Clare. I have never heard anyone say anything against it - except that it is pricey. But these days - where isn't?!?!?