Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!!!

The moon turns full Wednesday night/Thursday morning in the US and UK. This is a special moon. It's called a Blue moon, because it's the second full moon in a single month. It's also called a Supermoon, because it's so close to Earth's orbit. This will be the closest moon of the year. I'd insert a link with more info, but seems like that's not accepted now. 

Everyone have a good week!

• It didn't occur to me that anyone would be able to translate the Welsh inscription here. Never mind. I'll take a better picture next time we go, as we go there often. (The hot chocolate is heavenly!)

• Lindybird: I was also wondering about AQ.... I can understand overlooking translation opportunities when hot chocolate is so yummy. :-) Thanks for the info on the Heritage Site. I'll check it out later.

Very hot two days here, then allegedly back to usual....
  • I have played golf at Nefyn. Spectacular!!!
  • Yes, a famous course. We've walked the footpath beside it.

I've been wiping down the kitchen floor and getting some clothes into a suitcase. Both should have been done this afternoon, but our friends appeared and said that their family had now gone home: daughters & grandchildren have been visiting over the weekend. We gave them coffee & biscuits and talked about local restaurants, and how to play cricket on the beach.

This morning we went to a nearby lake - Llanberis. It was busy with both visitors and locals, enjoying their extra day off as its a Bank Holiday. Pictures later.
  • Two quotes I found, which I like: may be useful for Church magazines!

"May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worms & spiderlings. Children who sense the rose needs the thorn..." Nicolette Sowder, American poet and educationalist.

"Get closer to the land: you are a part
    Of this world, not separate or distinct,
    Do not pass by leaf, root, branch or petal,
    Revel in nature; take the path of grass."

From The Path of Grass by Dan Simpson (b 1985, poet and educator).

• Lindybird said:

Two quotes I found, which I like: may be useful for Church magazines!

"May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worms & spiderlings. Children who sense the rose needs the thorn..." Nicolette Sowder, American poet and educationalist.

"Get closer to the land: you are a part
    Of this world, not separate or distinct,
    Do not pass by leaf, root, branch or petal,
    Revel in nature; take the path of grass."

From The Path of Grass by Dan Simpson (b 1985, poet and educator).

Wish that these were the sort of people in power.  Environmental concerns are clearly not a priority for our government.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• LINDY quite quite lovely, thank you.
  • LINDA & ANNETTE - I am OK but did not like the nastiness on the thread last week and withdrew into my turtle shell. Too much confrontation in our world.

• Thank you for the poem Lindy. Really beautiful. Clearly those in government haven’t just “sat” in nature and “felt.” I just love doing that. It’s so restorative. The wilder and remoter the better.
    It’s drizzling here annoyingly as I really did want to try to cut the grass this morning.
    Also, annoyingly, I have just come back from the audiologists. My new all singing, all dancing (not NHS) hearing aids keep switching themselves off for about 5 seconds once or twice a day! The audiologist was baffled!! He did an update on them and hoped it was that!!! We will see. Other than that, I am really pleased with them. Since I had them 6 months ago I am in a whole new world!!! I think I said I could hear the cuckoo again and I could also hear the turtle dove in Norfolk.
  • aquilareen said:

LINDA & ANNETTE - I am OK but did not like the nastiness on the thread last week and withdrew into my turtle shell. Too much confrontation in our world.

I'm sorry.  I saw that horrendous troll on this thread and I saw red.  I'm glad you're all right.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.