Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I've just read confirmation that Indiana now has wild armadillos. They are increasingly being seen on my local roads and in our forests. These animals are native to the southernmost US states, but have moved much further north in response to climate change. I'd love to see one.

Take care, all.

www.in.gov/.../

• AQ: I love lyrebirds. So much fun to watch and listen to.
  • ANNETTE; I've just seen that you will be impacted by Major Hurricane Hilary. although it looks like authorities are still unsure about the track and intensity of the storm. It looks like it could hit you on Monday. I know you are busy and stressed right now. I wanted to make sure you were aware of the potential flooding and damaging wind.
  • Recently a learner-driver was caught doing 253 km/h on a motorway where max speed is 110. Under new laws he has been sentenced to gaol plus his vehicle has been crushed for scrap. Yeay. Normally vehicles are sold to support victims of crime but an example has to be set.
  • I think selling the vehicle makes much more sense - it actually benefits someone. Either way, that moron can never drive it again.

I see the magpie won the poll - your magpies must be more tuneful than ours!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE – The idea is to make a big news impact but whether it catches the attention of the hoons, we shall see.
    Our maggies are tuneful but I do object to the one who, the last few weeks, starts practising his carolling call at 2 am, finishing about 5 am. If only he would finish the phrase, but no, he breaks at various times and starts again and agai and again and ag and again.
  • aquilareen said:
    Our maggies are tuneful but I do object to the one who, the last few weeks, starts practising his carolling call at 2 am, finishing about 5 am. If only he would finish the phrase, but no, he breaks at various times and starts again and agai and again and ag and again.

Oh, blimey - you have my sympathy!  Standing out from the general dawn chorus here are the local gulls, crows and wood pigeons.  I actually like the sound of the wood pigeons ........ the gulls and crows are just loud!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• ANNETTE - I followed your link to the hospital - very posh but I agree, poor signage. I believe that a certain little Royal was born there?
    Glad that your OH will be home and I hope that your daughter will feel settled before too long.
    Everyone - I hope to make replies later - my eldest daughter is arriving soon to take me food shopping.
  • Just found this on Facebook entitled “Growing up in the 50s and 60s” So much of it rings true for me!!!!!

• PS. You will have to tap on the photo to enlarge if you are on a tablet or phone.
  • Rusty- I've seen it before but its a good one!

Hope you don't feel too awful today.

Now I'll have to find the time to Google the sounds of your birds, AQ!! Agree that the impact of the crushing may well remain in the minds of the speeding idiots - maybe the dramatic crushing should be filmed and shown on TV.

Mixed weather here and not exactly sunny, but pleasant interleaved with sudden showers.