Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I've just read confirmation that Indiana now has wild armadillos. They are increasingly being seen on my local roads and in our forests. These animals are native to the southernmost US states, but have moved much further north in response to climate change. I'd love to see one.

Take care, all.

www.in.gov/.../

• CLARE/LIMPY: I hope you enjoy your trip to Rutland Water!
  • Diane:  Thank you.  I'm sure an armadillo will find its way to your patch based on word-of-mouth recommendations from your current neighborhood critters; armadillos eat eggs, bugs, berries and small animals..... Hmmm    Was in the library today and was taken with the title of a book about climate change:  I Want a Better Catastrophe   Subtitle: Navigating the Climate Crisis with Grief, Hope and Gallows Humor..  Instead got The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck Mutiny and Murder.  Set in the 1700s, a much less scary century.  The Wager was written by David Grann, author of Killers of the Flower Moon and The Lost City of Z, both very good.

• ANNETTE: I'm determined to see the current movie "Killers of the Flower Moon", based on Grann's book. Compelling story, great actors, and music by Robbie Robertson, who died this week. I thought Robbie was one of the greatest songwriters of his era, and I LOVED the music of The Band. If you've never seen the movie, "The Last Waltz" (which shows The Band's final concert and includes many of the biggest performers of the 60s and 70s), I highly recommend it!!! Scorsese made the film.

• Diane: "Flower Moon" is on Apple TV, which I don't get.  I may have to sign up just to see it (maybe cancel immediately after).  We get Netflix and Amazon TV and the usual stuff on all the other channels.  Will look for "The Last Waltz."  My niece in the UK said she'd seen "Painkiller" on Netflix  - it's about the Sackler family.  I'm so pleased the Supreme Court nixed the bankruptcy deal; I hope something significant comes from it.  The book Empire of Pain is about all that and just brilliant, but sickening- the Sacklers were just drug pushers.

• ANNETTE: Agreed. The Sacklers should be in a maximum security prison for the rest of their miserable lives.
  • Diane: Yes, unfortunately it won't help their victims and their families, but for them to escape responsibility is unconscionable.
  • ANNETTE: You can watch The Last Waltz on Amazon and on Apple TV. Or you can watch it free on Pluto TV and Tubi. Acording to my quick Google search.
  • Diane - Thanks for starting us off -- keep your eyes peeled for those armadillos!! How great if you get to see one!

We watched a brilliant programme last night about The Everly Brothers which certainly took us down memory lane. It was followed by a film of one of their last concerts together, which I recorded as it was on late.

Just seeing upsetting views of the devastation in Hawaii and hearing about those who were holidaying there but managed to fly out. They are feeling guilty, and so very sorry for the residents who have lost everything. It's so sad.