Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 August 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a peaceful, serene week!

I'll come back later to post some replies. A big storm is in progress here--AGAIN.

Best wishes for a good holiday to all those who are leaving!

• aquilareen said:
    my OH has discarded friends over the years, has no hobbies and now cannot “think straight”.

Limpy shows much of this.  He has never been a great one for keeping in contact with friends and family, though he at least has his birding and his photography and he remains mentally sharp - in fact, his warped sense of humour has hospital staff in fits!  Funnily enough the singer Ozzy Osbourne has been a great help - Limpy isn't a fan of his music but is aware that on Osbourne's most recent album there's a song entitled 'Evil Shuffle'.  It seems that Ozzy, himself a Parkinson's sufferer, has summed up the mobility problems of Parkinson's in that one phrase!  As Limpy determinedly shuffles everywhere he just tells people he's doing the Evil Shuffle and raises smiles wherever he goes - not that he goes out enough.  The biggest problem is in the evening - pretty much every evening he'll settle in his recliner, turn the TV on and flit from one YouTube channel to the next.  I don't even bother sitting in the room with him as most of what he watches is boring, repetitive crap - and he inevitably falls asleep in front of it.  I've actually shown him your comment and raised the TV as a big problem but I don't think he's convinced.  You have my sincere sympathy as you must have watched your husband shut everything out and dwindle to a shadow of himself.  I am so sorry for you both.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• AQ and Clare, How I empathise with you both,It is very very tiring trying to adjust to their changing ways etc..

wonder if this will bring a smile.( iT is public domain)

HERE

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuHwJ-3goya/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

• SunnyKate2 said:

wonder if this will bring a smile.( iT is public domain)

HERE

That is absolutely Limpy.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:
    That is absolutely Limpy.

Oh dear,sorry Clare, no offence intended

• None taken! Poor old thing fell again today, at Minsmere - it wasn't his Parkinson's, his knee gave way. Down he went, and another walking stick bites the dust.

• Oh, dear Clare. Tell him what my grandfather used to say when we fell over, as children:

"I hope you haven't made a hole in the ground!"

Seriously, though, I hope he's not hurt himself
  • Yesterday, a huge machine came and cut the wheat in the fields behind our house. I took a picture as they siphoned it into a waiting truck just behind our hedge.

• Then it looked like this from our window upstairs, this morning. In the afternoon as we sat in the garden, a huge baling machine arrived and trundled up and down, gathering up the stalks and churning out massive bales.

My OH watched, and said that they had done in only hours what would once have once taken him days to complete.

• Lindybird said:
    Seriously, though, I hope he's not hurt himself

Just his stick.  Unbelievably he carried on around the reserve, including Bittern Hide (up 30 stairs!!) - and he managed to drive himself home.  I frequently tell hospital staff at his increasingly frequent appointments that the most determined patient in the place is sitting right in front of them, and I'm not remotely joking.

• Looks like we're off to Rutland Water on Sunday - and the mobility scooter will be ready for him! Phew.