LOCH OF THE LOWES - AUGUST 2023 TO END FEBRUARY 2024

Continued from July 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the beginning of July, all continued to go well (with both PF4 and PF5 successfully taking their maiden flights on the 9th and 13th respectively) until the middle of the month. On the 15th, NC0, after attempting to snatch a meal from her eldest offspring, was forced off the nest by PF4. Sadly, this could have been the last sighting on camera this season of such a fabulous mum. Had she started her migration so early? 

Without NC0 around, things on the nest then seemed to go into disarray. PF5 began to show a lot of dominance over his sister and, on the 21st, took control of the nest. After an early morning fish delivery on the 23rd and then being 'harassed' by PF4, who tried take his meal, he himself was ousted once he had flown off nest to eat in peace. Since then, PF4 has been in charge of the nest. On the 25th, PF5 made an heroic attempt to reclaim the nest from his sister, showing off his spectacular dive-bombing skills - however this did not work.

Laddie's fish deliveries to the nest have been fraught to watch and they have almost caused him harm. PF4 has been extremely overpowering and aggressive towards him in her attempts to claim most of the fish that he has brought to the nest. There is much worry over PF5 and whether he is being fed off nest. Hopefully, that is the case now that he has claimed his own 'patch' elsewhere on the reserve. 

Early evening, on the last day of the month, PF4 was seen live on cam diving from the split birch to successfully catch her first fish, albeit a tiny one. She had been making many unsuccessful practise dives from the birch on previous occasions. An initial one, witnessed on the 18th, can be viewed in this SWT video.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)  Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)  Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)  Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatched: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11)  Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19)  *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(f) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(m) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis*

Fledged: 9.7.23 - PF4(f) 57 days old (10:07)  13.7.23 - PF5(m) 58 days old (09:57)

Last seen: NC0 - 15.7.23 (pm); PF5, 73 days - 28.7.23 (pm); Laddie - 6.8.23 (pm); PF4, 86 days - 7.8.23 (am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March/April,  May,  June,  July

August Blogs and Updates (published dates) 

1.8.23 LotL Fb update re 'situation' >>> Here

4.8.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 19 & 20

13.8.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – So Long and Fly High

• scylla said:

I haven't seen any fish deliveries up to 12:30 - PF4 has been on the nest a few times, in hope, and one time I thought she looked as tho something was on the way... but no.

These were early visitors:

I'm going to be elsewhere for quite a while but I won't delete any footage (which isn't continuous, unfortunately) in case SANDRA finds something to be investigated further - ie, diving from the split birch!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No fish deliveries up until 15:12 either, Scylla.

©SWT/LotL

• Not the most positive nest this year.
    I have been visiting regularly as we are currently renting a property a few minutes from Loch of the Lowes whilst awaiting settlement date on a house in St Andrews.
    Popped in yesterday at 7:00PM and only PF4 screaming for half an hour. Just got back from todays visit and PF4 off the nest with no sign of LM12.
    Not sure what happened to NCO or PF5, no wiser than the staff at the VC. I have my speculations but will leave them to myself.
    I did go up most evenings and whilst PF5 was off the nest saw no evidence of him feeding.
    This is a bit of a new story at LOTL this year and very strange for that nest.

May I thank all especially Sandra and Scylla and other contributors I have not named - When I have got back I look in regularly at your reports and is good to see in detail what I have watched. Just a bit too busy sorting the new house in St Andrews. Guess I will watch the ospreys that fish the Eden Estuary going forward. Thank You All.
  • Good evening Keith,

You're very welcome. Thank you so much for your 'report', especially with details of your visits to the reserve (so jealous!).

It has been a season like no other. I had prepared myself for all sorts of eventualities prior to this season beginning but, with the way everything has panned out and the events we have witnessed, this situation didn't even enter my mindset. I can imagine that the team at Lowes are feeling just as perplexed, and emotional, as us viewers.

May I wish you and yours all the very best in your new home, I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Oh, and happy Osprey watching in the future! Slight smile

• 20:12 PF4 waiting quietly..

Edit: 20:17 After making a few calls, she left the nest and landed on NC0's diving branch of the birch

©SWT/LotL

• Good to see you, KEITH, and glad to have been of some use Blush

I don't have anything, useful or otherwise, to add tonight, except thanks for all reporting.

IMAGICAT

• Morning Scylla and All,

ENS at present (7:50) but PF4 has been on the nest perch and nest - at one point. I did wonder if she had Laddie in her sights as she became quite excited, vocalising and looked over towards the back right of the Loch. She's also been sitting on the limb or very close by, her calls could be heard. She left there a short time ago (flight unseen) but hasn't come into view over by the birch area.

On nanny duty today, as I have been for the past couple of days, so will pop on when I can. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Thank you Sandra and as others have said, for all your efforts. You’ll be feeling emotionally drained this season. Enjoy your time with the children. Kissing heart
  • Many thanks, Glider - on a lunch break at the moment!

Just a quick catch up...

At 11:33, PF4 was on the nest. The sound of a loud jet plane drew closer. She was very alarmed, vocalised and then shot off the nest as it flew over

She continued her flight to the far right, out of cam view

At 11:45, PF4 hadn't returned to the nest. The cam angle was changed to view the birch area for a minute or two - she wasn't there either

12:58 She arrived on the nest perch, from the right, carrying what appeared to be some vegetation in her talons

She had clearly dived into the Loch to 'catch' that (unable to see the birch area due to the cam not being panned out enough). She gave her feathers a good shake

PF4 then flapped down onto the nest with whatever it was in her left talons

She broke pieces off

Here she is at present, 13:47. No sign of Laddie, as far as I can tell, so far today

©SWT/LotL

• 13:52 Gosh, what did she see off to the right? PF4 alarm called and immediately flew from the nest!

She could be heard shouting on her flight away and in the distance...

14:04 PF4 has not returned back to the nest. BBL

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:
    At 11:33, PF4 was on the nest. The sound of a loud jet plane drew closer. She was very alarmed, vocalised and then shot off the nest as it flew over

I made it around 11:15 that she embarked on a mega-screech, and some minutes after she'd given up the futile effort the jet plane went over.  I haven't cut down the length of the screeching.

Then I freaked out when I saw they'd misaligned the cam and we couldn't see the birch, but I just checked the LS and see they've fixed it, and, BTW, she been screeching again.  I still have to check the footage since the plane.

IMAGICAT