MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2023 to end of FEBRUARY 2024

Continued from Manton Bay - July 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya has laid four eggs - Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  38 days later on May 12 @ 08:18 the first chick hatched followed by chick #2 on May 14 @ 06:36 and chick #3 was first seen @ 05:45 on May 17.  Chick #4 hatched on May 18 @ 18:53 and not long after a live fish was delivered to the nest causing havoc and the little chick died the following morning.   On June 24, the chicks were ringed – Blue 3H3(F), Blue 3H4(M) and Blue 3H5(F) and their vitals can found here.   On 3 July @ 09:24 Blue 3H3 fledged followed by Blue 3H5 on 6 July @ 10:23 and Blue 3H4 on 9 July @ 06:12.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

And now the month has come when one by one the chicks, who have been spending their days strengthening their wings and practicing their flying skills readying themselves for the epic journey that lies ahead, will set off south.  But they are well prepared having had the best possible start in life under the care and protection of their fantastic parents, Maya and Blue 33(11).   But until that day comes, let’s enjoy their time with us.

• Hear hear !!!  Thanks for writing that for all of us Glider

• Like you say, we all write for each other Cirrus. Hugging I just happened to have got there first! Smile
  • Another year over and another successful nest. I hope 33 and Maya have a safe migration, lots of rest and return to us next year and in a few years we hopefully will see some of the young ones. Great coverage by all.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• One for your bookshelf! Posting here as it stars Rutland's Blue 4K

lt’s always wonderful to be given a book, but this one is extra special. It has Louis, Aila, and Dorcha in it, so I've also posted this on the Loch Arkaig page. By coincidence, it arrived while I was away in Rutland.

If You Build It, He Will Come  by Simon Curtin

The story of the return of the Osprey to Belvoir after 200 years. In particular, the story of Blue 4K, fledged at Rutland in 2013, who found a nest and a mate at Belvoir and bred for the first time in 2022 at the late age of nine years old. He was sat-tagged in 2018, and followed by Sacha Dench on the Flight of the Osprey expedition and successfully sighted in his winter home in Dobire, Guinea.

Simon says:  all my profits from the book will be donated to conservation charities so anything you can do to spread the word will help sell more copies when it is published on 27th February, and raise more money for good works.

He was kind enough to mention me in the acknowledgements for my minor contribution of supplying info and photos from Loch Arkaig (with George and Woodland Trust’s permission) as the Belvoir nests don’t have cams. Of course, the main thanks go to Steve Quinn for his impressive fish stats which inform the nutrition section of Simon’s book.

It’s both interesting and easy to read, and I thoroughly recommend it. As soon as it’s out on sale I’ll post the link.

• Geemeff: Thank you so much!! Duly pre-ordered.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Ditto looking forward to reading it when it is delivered early March to nicely cooincide with the local Osprey return. Heart already full of hope that Maya is among them.

• That's great, I'm sure you'll both enjoy it, Sheila and Freebird.

Fingers crossed for the safe return of all our birds.. not too long now..
  • Rutland Ospreys have just posted they’ll be putting a metal dustbin lid on the nest to deter the EGs, getting ready for the return of Maya and Blue 33 next month.

#NotLongNow

• They are not happy goosies:

IMAGICAT