MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2023 to end of FEBRUARY 2024

Continued from Manton Bay - July 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya has laid four eggs - Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  38 days later on May 12 @ 08:18 the first chick hatched followed by chick #2 on May 14 @ 06:36 and chick #3 was first seen @ 05:45 on May 17.  Chick #4 hatched on May 18 @ 18:53 and not long after a live fish was delivered to the nest causing havoc and the little chick died the following morning.   On June 24, the chicks were ringed – Blue 3H3(F), Blue 3H4(M) and Blue 3H5(F) and their vitals can found here.   On 3 July @ 09:24 Blue 3H3 fledged followed by Blue 3H5 on 6 July @ 10:23 and Blue 3H4 on 9 July @ 06:12.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

And now the month has come when one by one the chicks, who have been spending their days strengthening their wings and practicing their flying skills readying themselves for the epic journey that lies ahead, will set off south.  But they are well prepared having had the best possible start in life under the care and protection of their fantastic parents, Maya and Blue 33(11).   But until that day comes, let’s enjoy their time with us.

• 17:19  33 arrives

Maya follows

17:21   Maya fish calling

she continues to call, 33 continues to ignore her

33 flies off leaving Maya

17:28  Maya, still screeching, flies off - ENS

• Karen, I think Maya is waiting on 33 leaving so she can follow him and get fed wherever he migrates to, she’ll be there calling!!
  • You may be right Glider lol  

I think 33 is ignoring her now and no longer will share fish that she moves on??

Meanwhile  

05:51   33 arrives 

05:54  Maya joins him  -  she is still here

Maya soon flies off

some poses

05:58 and off

• It amazes me how expressive an Ospreys eyes can be. Amusing how the loving relationship cools before migration too.
    Maya you need to be.off now.

• Maya and 33 still here!

06:38   Maya on the nest and fish calling

07:00  33 arrives 

Maya continues to call.  33 stays a few minutes then flies and Maya flies up to the cam post

• Yesterday morning I checked the nest at 09:41 and Maya was there fish calling.   

10:17 she was still there - she may have left in between 

10:17  she then flew off and is the last I saw her on the nest

• This morning, I have checked back and all I have seen is an empty nest!!

No sign so far of Maya or 33 - have they gone ???

• I think they have gone as there is no word of a sighting so far on Twitter today.
  • Surprise!!

Fishing and Maya (unless I'm mistaken) on the nest.. and maybe 33 on the cam.. seem to hear someone there too

• "No sign of 33(11) since yesterday afternoon - Maya is still here, not long until she leaves too"