LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• Many thanks to CANUCK Star

Aug 7 fish:
    09:09
    13:01 from Asha
    21:06
    21:57

Lots of last afternoon and evening missing here :(((

I am in theee most terrible mess, partly due to tech and partly to spending so much time on the Hobby eyases yesterday, which no-one whatsoever is interested in and someone thumbs-downed my video anyway, after all that! Tired face

There have been TWO fish so far this morning (I hope TREVOR is OK), I've only seen the second and it was magnificent, am just going to find the first but it's not on Chat and I've lost BART's magic link!

Back later.

• First at 7 37 am 2Nd at 7 44am both large whole live and kicking
    I am OK Scylla i was on comfort break ( That's sods law ) Thank' for asking
  • 07.44 fish

(c) RSPB Loch Garten 

• Will have to go at 9 00am 2nd Round with Scottish Power
  • I'm having to correct this post - I missed the morning's 2nd as I was having to record from YT rollback - see other posts, which I only saw @ 15:35-ish.  Have now recorded the 2nd fish from YT rollback (thank goodness for timeline!) and am adding it now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07 August

Here were the 2 evening deliveries, dimly and briefly:

08 August

There had been desultory picking at the leftover fish on 'n off, I noticed Harry in particular "at it", with Sid standing mysteriously philosophical... now we know why.

scylla said:
    There have been TWO fish so far this morning

Wow, what a super fish from Asha this morning - I've called it a Rainbow Trout, please correct me if necessary - rudimentary video:

Both juvies on the nest as I type, one obviously still with fish, the other just stood standing.

Then:

• Asha is feeding one of the juvies - both cams are focused on the nest so I can't see if the other juve is in the usual tree.

This was for the sake of catching a piece of a rainbow with Asha and her 2 boys with both heads showing - no mean feat Stuck out tongue winking eye

• The PTZ is still focused on the trees behind the nest:

Now it's in a big, big buffer.

There had been 2 fishes being eaten on the nest, I bet the one at the back was still the one from the night before... here was Asha eating some pink stuff:

I'm off to eat something.

• What a turn up for the books Brodie has been with his lads. I'm happy for Asha now .. What started out for me  as a dubious relationship has ended up sterling. Brodie has learned fast and is proud of his boys and Asha is happy with her mate. It augers well for next year and beyond . Thanks for your coverage of Loch Garten nest Scylla

• Lovely updates this morning, thanks Scylla and all. Love the oval rainbow frame with mamma and the boys. That Sid is one awful fellow at times, to poor Harry!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.