LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• 05 August evening

No scoffing!

2C4 spent the night on the nest, he sat back down after a while looking out from the nest:

06 August

05:10 they gathered, convinced a fish was on the way:

But no - I reckon Brodie ate a whole fish and then went and got this one and delivered it whole:

As per title - 2C5 got the fish, 2C4 got a pecking!

• Fish 12 51 Looks like whole salmon? second thoughts on viewing when Harry moved to otherside 

Ove nest it looked like mackerel but where would he get one ???

• Such a dreadful attack on Harry/#2/2C4 by Sid/#1/2C5.  Asha was also in submissive mode, and she and Harry spent time on the rim, cowering while Sid almost finished the fish.  He tried to down the tail, but pulled it back again and eventually he let Asha take it at 07.20.  There wouldn't have been much left, but she did give some to Harry.

While all this was going on a Greater Spotted Woodpecker was on the dead tree

07.24  Sid flew from the nest, and landed on the dead tree.

07.30 Asha flew off, and landed on the totem pole.

07.38  Harry flew from the nest, out of sight.  He returned at 07.54 calling in hope.  He left again at 08.20

08.26  Asha landed on the nest perch, closely followed by Harry.  08.44 Harry flew.  Asha watched.

08.45 Asha dropped to the nest calling.  A youngster can be seen flying around.  Sid landed, followed by Harry who let his hunger feelings known to Asha trying to bit her beak.

08.58 Asha flew off, the boys became quiet and watched.  08.59 Side flew off, 08.59 Harry flew, ENS

10.17 the PTZ came to life and panned and zoomed over the area until is came to a halt at the top of the dead tree at 10.19

10.30 Harry landed there, with chirrups.  I wonder where he's been.  He stayed until 10.58 and landed on the nest at 11.10.

Someone flew right to left behind the old dead tree.  Harry got up and started to call, then stopped, watching intently.  Friend or foe.  Fish or no fish!  Quiet, but watching.  It was Sid, who has landed on the old dead tree.  Harry flew to the dead tree.  Sid left the tree at 11.23.  11.36 Harry returned to the nest, calling.  Down to the centre of the nest.  He was joined by Sid.

11.47  Was an intruder around?  They both sank to the floor, having mantled, but no flapping or calling.  Just before midday they were still lying down, quietly and it wasn't until 12.11 they felt danger was over.  They both stood up.  Harry flew off.

12.44 the PTZ went to the top of the tree and looked below.  Harry was there.  My snip tool hasn't been working properly for a couple of days, and it wouldn't work when I wanted to snip the top of Harry's head on this view.  It looked as tho he had some blood on the top back on the cross bar of his darker T.  Possibly when Sid viciously attacked him over #1 fish.

12.51  #2 fish  Asha landed on the nest, followed by Harry.  Brodie landed with a reasonably large fish.  Harry grabs it.  Asha cowers, and submits on the right side of the nest.  Sid lands and complains, but Harry keeps his back to both Sid and poor Asha.  I feel she won't be with us much longer.  With two angry off-spring around she doesn't stand a chance.

13.29  Sid flew off.

What is the fish?  It doesn't look like a brown trout.

13.36 Asha was showing an interest inn the fish, but Sid returned from a short flight, and Harry mantled over the fish, preempting any chance of her taking it.

13.47 Harry turned away from the fish, Asha grabs it and her instinct kicks in.  She feeds Harry!  Sid gets in line.  Harry loses interest

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I am going to stick my neck out and say Mackerel
  • 10:58 Something alarmed Harry and he suddenly flew off the nest but caught his feet in the sticks - a bit of a mess but he was OK later:

trevor l said:
    t looked like makrill but where would he get one ???

Any answers yet?

2C4 got the fish - and kept it, too !!!

Sorry, 2C5, but you shouldn't have been swanning around in a tree Stuck out tongue winking eye

2C4 ate all but a few inches, this is what was passed over to Asha:

• Apart from my typo Mackerel it is definitely mackerel
    How far is the sea away ?you don't find them in the river
  • trevor l said:

Fish 12 51 Looks like whole salmon? second thoughts on viewing when Harry moved to otherside 

Ove nest it looked like mackerel but where would he get one ???

Grantown isn't far away on the River Spey - quote from the Salmon Fishing Scotland web site
    In its lower course, downstream of Grantown, it is a fast flowing river, providing miles of perfect, and highly sought after, fly fishing water.
    I don't know where he would have found mackerel - aren't they salt water fish?  Perhaps they are found in the lower tidal areas?  I have no idea.
    16.33 Sid/#1#2C5.is calling on the nest.  He arrived at 16.26.
    Harry is on the old nest frame, preening.  The blood I thought I saw earlier isn't really evident now, thank goodness.
    16.39 Sid left the nest
    16.45 Harry is fascinating by something below

• Sid on the nest. PTZ focusing on the dead tree for the night.

• Maybe caught it near Inverness / Nairn up in the Moray Firth, to the north This is the closest sea water to the nest

Richard B