LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• I'm not needed any more, all birds identified without me.
    Crestie, Tree creeper, stonechats.
    It certainly looks like a Goshawk to me.

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    I'm not needed any more,

Maybe not technically (altho that's debatable!)... but emotionally, yes you are! Blue heart

IMAGICAT

• Well, that is that, then, not a heads up, a thank you, a post, a blog, nowt!! Hardly any updates either, all season!!

I have enjoyed our time together here, all the ups and downs with our beloved Osprey family, Asha, Brodie, Axel, other intruders for short or longer visits and the 2 chicks. I wish them all safe flying, well deserved rest and hope that they return safely next year. In the years to come, who knows, we may see some return. Thanks to all for the updates, photos, videos etc. To dear Scylla in particllar, thanks for your never ending, hard work, time and dedication, not ony here, but on all the other nests and sites, that you keep everyone updated on. I really do not know how you do it. It's really appreciated. Heart️ Untill we meet again next March, or speak on the other posts, farewell and keep safe. CL x

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Unknown said:
    I'm not needed any more, all birds identified without me.

I'm with Scylla.  Never, ever say you're not needed - even if the birds have been identified.  I also think it was a goshawk as it looked quite big - big enough to bother the ravens (who are a bit bigger than buzzards).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Well till next year on here God willing see you all then
    See some of you on the critter site through the winter
    I am with Goshawk TTFN, SYNY.