LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• Nauseated facelooks like 2C4 found an old bit o' fish on the nest

• Well done, Harry, on getting the mackerel and keeping it and eating almost all of it. Sid you missed out there lad, on a different tasty meal! I had to laugh, though. Harry did not like the pink inside bits or the long, thin black bit, spat it back out. In comes igreedy Sid, "Oh, I will have this nice looking bits, that he left". "Yuk, no, I will not", he says, spitting them out! Ha, ha.

From Loch Garten to Nairn (as the crow flies) it is only 25 minutes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• 18. 36 Sid was on the nest alone. Harry could be seen flying below the nest, and landing just before  Asha (Brodie) arrived with another FISH.
    It was a very aggressive hand over with wings flapping everywhere. I think Sid must have had Asha's (Brodie's) talon again. He was very aggressive towards everyone, before the fish was handed over. Harry remained calling on the rim. Brodie made a quick exit once free.
    19.49 Sid was still eating the fish. Harry was ever hopeful.
    20.15 Sid gave up with the skin and tail fin . Sid flew away, leaving Harry to the remains of the skin and tail finish some flesh.
    Harry left at 20 38.
    21.36 Asha landed, followed by a wishful and noisy Harry. She soon flew off, leaving Harry to call indignantly
    22.00 he flew off to the old nest posts.

I have edited this.  Apparently it was Asha who brought in the 18.36 fish, not Brodie.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Good morning, TREVOR Slight smile  I wasn't questioning your mackerel ID (heaven forfend!) or typoing - just calling in others to suggest where Brodie might have caught it Blush

SheilaFE said:
    18. 36 Sid was on the nest alone. Harry could be seen flying below the nest, and landing just before Brodie arrived with another FISH.
    It was a very aggressive hand over with wings flapping everywhere.

Not quite up to PF4 standard, thank goodness !!!  I thought for a  moment the fish was lost over the side when Brodie - EDIT - NO, IT WAS ASHA! - fled.

Vicious by name, vicious by nature:

"I'm outta here!"

2C4 did find scraps later.

I lost the nest cam :(((  The PTZ was set on the dead tree, there were 3 of them on it for a few minutes:

Fly-off:

21:35 - Asha flew, one remained all night, lots of preening went on.

• 07 August

No-one on the nest overnight.  05:13 2C4 spent a few minutes on the nest, no-one seen since.

• Good morning Scylla I Never gave it a thought .I did double check on Google, Ha Ha
  • InnocentHuggingSmirk  Now going for coffee break BBS

• trevor l said:
    Now going for

...last night's dinner Astonished

One is on the nest, vibrating in time with fish calls, I dare say - I saw both juvies earlier from a distance, glancing over while busy with Clywedog.

• fish at 9 09 am .Flounder Harry gets fish