LOCH GARTEN - END FEBRUARY 2024

Link to July 2023 thread

July proved to be a less nail-biting month than June. Brodie re-appeared early on the 1st and delivered fish (including flounder) to the nest every day bar 1 thereafter, with a record count of 7 on the 21st. Asha also fished and delivered a salmon on the 3rd, as well as quite a few sticks, not least one to replace the sticky-up stick on the nest that got removed on ringing day - 12th July. We have 2 boys, as only 7% of those surveyed had predicted. 2C5 (oldest) became Sid (Vicious) and 2C4 (youngest) is Harry (Nilsson). We had some cracking snaps particularly from the PTZ camera, a 2am fish, self-feeding started, and wing-flapping and helicoptering. Bets are on for a fledge or two very early in August. Sid is 58 days and Harry 56 days on the 1st of August

• Fish at 7 00 am small

Morning All

• Thank you Trevor.
    Harry was on the nest, preening, Sid was on top of the PTZ. Asha landed and was calling, and as Trevor reported, Brodie arrived with a whole brown trout, not huge, but OK.
    Asha told Brodie to leave the nest. He did.
    Asha had a natter to the fish, while Harry waited patiently, keeping an eye on the fish.
    Asha feeds herself, Sid stretches his wings a couple of times. Surprisingly Harry didn't bed for food, but looked eagerly at the fish.
    11.02 he gets closer to Asha, who begins to feed him
    11.03 Sid arrives and stands between mum and bro, but not close enough to get fed.
    11.13 Sid can wait no more and pushes his way to the front. Harry immediately steps away.
    11.16 Asha turns round, Sid moves back, pushing Harry to the rim. Asha having turned round, Sid continues to take the fish from Asha. Harry goes to the far rim and looks over the forest.
    11.19 Asha gives up the tail end, and Sid towns is.
    11.26 Sid flies away towards the top right, possibly to the dead tree out of sight of the cam.
    11.29 Asha calls for another fish. She gives up waiting and also flies to the top right, leaving Harry on the nest alone.
    11.32 An osprey is seeing flying in a circular route round and landed on top of the PTZ. From there it flew back over the old nest frame and out of sight.
    11.34 An osprey landed on the PTZ. I expect both sightings were Sid enjoying his new found freedom. A couple of minutes later he was off again.
    12.48 Asha lands with a thick stick. Sid calls for fish out of sight, but probably on the dead tree.
    11.50 Asha joins in the calls
    13.04 Sid is perches on the old nest. Harry chirrups and takes off, flying to the left. Asha stays on the nest
    13.05 Two osprey seen flying around the dead tree, the PTZ and the old nest.
    After a fly about, Harry returned to the nest. Sid landed back on the PTZ. Asha remains on the nest.

I have to leave it there.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• trevor l said:
    Fish at 11 00 am small tiddler

trevor l said:
    Fish at 11 00 am small tiddler

Next - a teenier one:

I was hanging on before posting, hoping another fish was in the offing - but no, so goodnight for now.

• I've been slacking again. Will be on watch for a few hours now
  • 19.31 Bit 'o fish!! Asha and 2C5 fly to the nest, the latter claiming it. 2C4 nowhere to be seen

• At last, but not adequate!

2C5 claimed it:

• 20.45 fish from Brodie. Both kids come to the nest and being fed

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• It was a blur in the air, so another ground shot was necessary - delayed while waiting for footage to process:

First 2C5 turned up, 2C4 had to wait while sib was being fed.  I hope there's enough for both.

• 2C4 did get some bites but Sid got many more.  They soon finished the whole fish.  G'night.