THe Ireland Translocation

It starts tomorrow  morning and you can have a ringside seat. 

If one wants to follow their journey to Ireland on flightradar24: the flight number is FTL 742 scheduled for Thursday 27 July, at 12:00 noon  BST  from Trondheim airport Værnes (TRD) to Kerry airport Farranfore (KIR) arriving about 4pm. 

• I think is it fascinating, particularly given the success of Poole with birds already breeding at Poole, Wales - and isn't one in south Lakes?
    I followed the Swiss project for a while, but lost my links, so don't know what's happening now. I need to update my notes! There is so much to try to keep up with nowadays!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Sheila for this detailed information. I think the project is far more difficult and slower than Rutland and will be more difficult than Poole but that is only my own opinion. Others may differ.
    I have an apprehension some of these females over the years if they survive may be seen wandering the osprey world in Wales and then probably England. The ospreys especially females tend to find an area where there are plenty of opportunities.
    I think Rutland was ideal for ospreys as it was like the M6 to Scotland.
  • Sheila

These are good journals for every year if you have time to translate from French. (See tab Our Project/Reports 2013-2021 and report 2022 tab). The journals are Nos Oiseaux (Our Birds).

Balbuzard pêcheur | The Osprey in Switzerland (balbuzards.ch)

• Thank you, Keith. Very useful.

•  Gregorius has given me a link to the web page of NRK, the Norwegian equivalent of the BBC.  It is about the translocation.

It is very much focused on the Norwegian part of the Irish reintroduction.  It's in Norwegian, but Google translate gives a fairly good idea of what's written there - I am told!

Thank you again Gregorius.

For those without Facebook:

Don't have a single one of this bird in the country - now Ireland is getting Trønder's help

- Ospreys have been extinct for over 200 years in Ireland. Now we hope to be able to help them, says NINA senior researcher.

EXTINCT: In Norway we have many ospreys, while in Ireland the bird is extinct. Researchers at NINA will do something about that.

It actually started a few years ago.  Then the Norwegian Institute for Natural Research (NINA) was contacted by Ireland.  They had seen a decline in the number of birds of prey, and asked Norway for help to increase the number of sea eagles.

"We assisted Ireland with sea eagles already in 2007, where we transported several birds to the island.  At the latest this year, we have moved 24 sea eagles.  The project is seen as a success."

That's what senior researcher at NINA, Duncan Halley, says.  Therefore, Ireland contacted NINA again earlier this year, and wanted a similar project for ospreys."

Extinct for 200 years

"In Ireland, ospreys have been extinct for over 200 years. They were shot by people, and there have also been periods with few trees in Ireland.  The birds have had few areas to nest in", says Halley further.

Senior researcher at NINA, Duncan Halley, hopes the project will be a success.

On Thursday this week, the first ospreys were shipped to Ireland. And everyone seems to be having a great time.

- The first ten have arrived in Ireland. Everyone looks healthy and safe, says Halley.

The project is a big team effort, according to Halley. One of the contributors is field ornithologist Tom R. Østerås.

"Will do it again

- We have collected ten birds, both we and Ireland are satisfied with that, says Østerås.

He has received, fed and looked after the birds until they left for Ireland.

"It is an exciting, important and useful project. We humans are good at destroying the nature around us and removing species that are in our way.  Now we have the chance to make something right again.

If they manage to establish a viable osprey population in Ireland".  Østerås feels it will be worth all the effort.

"Gently

The aim is to send between 50 and 70 birds over the course of five years.  We try to do it as gently as possible, and always leave at least one chick in the nest.  We have seen that the birds possibly suffer from having all their children taken from them"  continues the senior researcher.  "The species normally has two to three young at a time."

Hoping for success

- There are several hundred pairs of ospreys in Norway, and we have received all the permits needed to carry out such a project. When they come to Ireland, they get food and help to re-establish themselves, says Halley.  Among other things, they build new nests for the eagles, so that in a few years they can nest in Ireland.

- Ospreys migrate down to Africa in the winter.  The hope is that they will return to Ireland in a few years and we may have some back breeding in 2025.

There have been similar projects elsewhere in Europe, and the senior researcher points out that they have learned from these.

- You cannot rule out that something happens along the way, but we currently have no reason to suspect it. We hope this will be as great a success as the previous project, says Halley.

• And the osprey returns naturally to Ireland.
  • Killarney Today had an article on one of the translocated osprey to Ireland from Norway, dated 25 September.

In July Gregorius Joris Toonen said to me "It's OK for me that you quote me, or copy-paste my texts from the facebook groups "Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus)" and "UK Ospreys", but rather no photos without permission first, as not all photos are my own."

The paper posted a photo of the route taken

It left the southeast of Ireland on 16 September and arrived in Africa on 21 September.

So, commenting on the article, I quote GJT from FB, but have left out any pictures -

"I made a quick, make-shift analysis of the first part of its route. The fix shown on the map was where 6E3 was in the afternoon of 17 September.  The tracker only gives one position per day, so one can't track its exact route, but it seems 6E3 has used the edges of a powerful low pressure system to get from Ireland first, and then at the backside of the same system to make landfall in northern Portugal, before it moved on:"

"It's an osplet, Blue 6E3 (right leg), from one of the nests that I surveyed this summer, as part of the fieldwork I did for the Irish reintroduction project.
    Photo below shows 6E3 on its ancestral nest, together with its siblings, early July:"  Photo omitted as I haven't asked permission to post.  It was a deep nest, on the edge of water.