WEEKLY CHAT (Non-Osprey) Sunday July 2, 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK/MONTH EVERYONE!

Family here.....it's pizza tonight.

• Unknown said:
    sorry to read of the infection - I hope the ABs do their thing

They did, indeed - but he's had more than one infection in the last several months.  The worst was when he caught a particularly wicked chest infection, which became pneumonia and finished up as pleurisy.  He had a couple of days in hospital with it and then was released, but it was obvious they were fully expecting to see him back in there.  Thankfully, that wasn't necessary ....... but it was a long recovery.

Unknown said:
    glad you got to Mull. I love it there! Do you every go over to Iona?

We also love it there and it has been what kept Limpy going through the various infections and hospital visits.  We made our first visit to Iona just over a week ago and thankfully Limpy was eligible for a pass to take his vehicle over.  And yes, he saw a corncrake!

It feels great to have something positive to tell everyone.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - Great to have actually SEEN a corncrake. I've heard them frequently on Iona, but never seen one. So pleased you were both able to get over there. It's a very special place.
  • We both heard them - what a racket they make! Only Limpy managed to see a little bit of one and only very briefly.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - I think they welcome every ferry as it arrives! Just behind the restaurant by the ferry, on the left, is where they seem to congregate. And they certainly make quite a row!!!
  • We drove further than that. Past the toilets, all the way down and then turned right. In a field half way down that road was where Limpy saw it.

• Rusty - Congrats on a good game! You must have been what we used to call "chuffed" !!!

Sorry I've been AWOL - very busy here. Yesterday we had a big family gathering organised by various (female) members of the family who were peeved that there have been no weddings nor christenings lately to get all of us together. (My OHs family -- You could fit my own relatives into a phone box, LOL!)

We organised a room in the local golf club and about 27 adults and 5 children attended! Our Youngest came with his family, and my bridesmaids from all those years ago, who are my OHs nieces. One of them lives in Hamble on the South Coast so it was a long day for her, even though she stayed with her father the night before. We had a buffet meal and sat on large tables so that everyone could swap around. After we'd eaten & talked someone suggested a group photo, so we found a member of staff who would take the picture in the garden. It was very successful picture, for us all to keep for posterity! And a lovely day- talked & talked, and enjoyed the delicious food. After our family had gone home later, we were completely bushed. Didn't even want to eat anything in the evening & early bed.

My OH was still suffering with the aftermath of his head cold, & of course too much rich food. I was hardly able to stand, later, as I had been walking around and then standing way too much for both of my unwilling knees. But happy memories and of course various photos being swapped today!
  • Freebird66

Nice to hear from you, but this thread is for Chat which is not about ospreys. You need to put your query onto the Forum under another heading, where I'm sure you'll get a helpful reply from one of the friendly participants.
  • RUSTY Well done on your golf.
    LINDY That sounds like a great get together.. Like you both my OH and I come from small families. OH has just 1 sister and she never married. I just have the 1 brother and the less said about him, the better. He has 2 daughters in their late 30s who have nothing to do with him and we rarely see them......quite sad really. Their Mum died a couple of years ago at only 63. Had she still been alive I am sure we would have had more to do with them.
  • Pity you can't keep up some kind of relationship with your nieces, dibnlib. It's a shame.

Annette, thank you for starting us off, even though you're busy. We frequently get annoyed with tradesmen these days -- as in your case, they seem to be oblivious as to the annoyance, when they dont get back to you on something, even if it's only a quote.

Clare, thank you for posting your brilliant pictures.