LLYN BRENIG JULY 2023

Link to first page opener - here

Link to June 2023  here

Recap:-

LJ2 returned 31 March 2023

LM6 returned 4 April 2023

Egg No. 1 laid 20 April - Hatched 27 May (37 days)

Egg No. 2 laid 23 April - Hatched 29 May (36 days)

Egg No. 3 laid 26 April - Hatched 1 June  (37 days) Sadly, this little chick died on 3rd June. It coincided with LJ2 having a leg injury and unable to fish at the time. I don’t know if this was the sole reason, part of the reason or something else. RIP little one Purple heart

The family of 5 for a couple of days. Bob 3, RIP, in between #1 and #2 

Four weeks later, our two thriving youngsters, #1 and #2   (36 and 34 days as at  01/07/23)

All captures and videos ©️ NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

• 06.11 Mari returned to the nest

06.16 Mari moves in closer to the fish

She was able to take it from Dilys

06.18 Mari shouting “I’ve got a fish!” 

Dilys flew off the nest whilst Mari ate.

07.15 having eaten her fill, Mari left the nest. 

LM6 arrives with a small stick. She collects the end of the fish she delivered earlier.  Leaving at 08.00 

• The nest has been pretty quiet for the rest of the day.

12.11 One of the juveniles came in to land on the perch and another one, hidden from the camera, revealed that they were already there! 

The preening perch has had a few visitors

LJ2 spends a lot of time here. 09.09

10.39 The 2 juveniles are already here when LJ2 arrives to squeeze into the middle.

• 17.05 Both juveniles land on the nest to ask for fish

17.24 LJ2 arrives with a fish and no one is on the nest.

Quickly a juvenile arrives

She takes the fish.

I can’t tell who the chick is due to the smudgy screen.
    18.26 she stops eating.

18.26 LM6 arrives on the nest.

18.27 LJ2 arrives as well

18.34 The juvenile resumes eating and the adults have left the nest.

18.42 the juvenile steps off the fish, cleans her beak and flies off. 

19.01 A juvenile lands on the nest

and goes for the fish.

19.03 It’s Dilys, so it must’ve been Mari who got the first serving this time. 

• I was in the hide at llyn Brenig at lunchtime today with my brother-in-law. We left at 2.00 p.m. for a late pub lunch. The report on the Brenig Osprey Project FB page indicates were we were unfortunate in our timing!

Despite the weather we had a magnificent afternoon at Brenig today.
    There was great excitement at the Lookout and in the hide as we all watched 7B6 (Mari) making her fishing attempts. The lake was quiet, all attention was diverted to 7B6 (Mari) as she made a continuous string of practice fishing dives into the lake beneath the nest. One after another, after another, diving sometimes from the pole alongside the nest and other times just as she was flying around. Crashing into the water feet first, wings flapping, getting airborne and flying off, often past the solar panels, and into the next dive. In between the dives we also witnessed some dry fishing, skimming the water and up again. So, what was her sister 7B5 (Dilys) doing? She did make a half-hearted attempt but was content to watch her sister, maybe tomorrow.
  • 19.39 LJ2 lands with a headless fish. 

Dilys is still on the nest and takes it as LM6 watches over.

19.41 LJ2 flies off

LM6, LJ2 and Dilys together. I’ve not seen Mari on the nest for a while. 

21.19 Dilys left the nest, deciding not to sleep there for the first time. 

• 17.18 I can see why I’ve not seen Mari on the nest for a while - she’s been hanging out on the preening perch.

22.00 Looks like she’s staying the night there with LM6.

• Unknown said:

I was in the hide at llyn Brenig at lunchtime today with my brother-in-law. We left at 2.00 p.m. for a late pub lunch. The report on the Brenig Osprey Project FB page indicates were we were unfortunate in our timing!

Despite the weather we had a magnificent afternoon at Brenig today.
    There was great excitement at the Lookout and in the hide as we all watched 7B6 (Mari) making her fishing attempts. The lake was quiet, all attention was diverted to 7B6 (Mari) as she made a continuous string of practice fishing dives into the lake beneath the nest. One after another, after another, diving sometimes from the pole alongside the nest and other times just as she was flying around. Crashing into the water feet first, wings flapping, getting airborne and flying off, often past the solar panels, and into the next dive. In between the dives we also witnessed some dry fishing, skimming the water and up again. So, what was her sister 7B5 (Dilys) doing? She did make a half-hearted attempt but was content to watch her sister, maybe tomorrow.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

That’s absolutely fantastic AG. What a shame you missed it all. I’m sure you’ll get another opportunity to see this again. Hugging

Mari certainly seems to be the more adventurous of the two. 

• Oh AG, you must be so disappointed that you didn't witness the amazing feats by Mari (7B6), I know I would have been!
    Thank you for sharing the Fb report, it's such a wonderful, descriptive account! What a girl!
  • Monday 31 July

Good morning Grinning A quiet day on the nest so far.

Mari and LM6 slept on the preening perch all night.

04.55 I can see 3 heads now!

05.41 There have been comings and goings. LJ2

09.01 Dilys

10.24 LM6 

10.44   Mari arrives

• I’ve still not seen any fish deliveries to the nest which is really unusual. 

There have been a few visits to the nest. Both LJ2 and LM6 have brought nesting material.

06.14 LJ2

10.16 LM6

15.22 LJ2 pole vaulted onto the nest. Dilys was already there.

He left the stick hanging where it landed.

15.44 Mari joined Dilys on the nest. They were both calling for fish.