LOCH OF THE LOWES - JULY 2023

Continued from June 2023

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laddie had a record breaking fish day on the 15th June, when he brought ELEVEN of them to the nest for NC0 and the chicks to dine on - amazing!

As the two chicks grew, it was clearly obvious - with the difference in size - that #1 was a female and #2 a male, this being confirmed at their ringing on the 22nd June. 

NC0 began fishing for the first time this season on the 30th June, with TWO successful catches in one day. Hopefully, both she and Laddie will continue to bring plenty of fish for their growing youngsters to enjoy in a now, harmonious manner.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43) Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32) Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39) Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

Hatched: Chick #1 - 13.5.23 (11:59 fully out of shell 12:11) Chick #2 - 16.5.23 (04:19) *Egg #1 - DNH*

Ringed 22.6.23: Chick #1 - PF4(f) 1.85kg  Chick #2 - PF5(m) 1.2kg  *Egg #1 retrieved for analysis*

Fledged:  9.7.23 - PF4(f) 57 days old (10:07)   13.7.23 - PF5(m) 58 days old (09:57)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to blogs and updates during March/April,  May,  June

July Blogs and Updates (published dates)

8.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 15 & 16

10.7.23 SWT video >>> Young Osprey Flies For The First Time

14.7.23 SWT video >>> Osprey Sibling Takes To The Skies

14.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Translocations: To move or not to move?

22.7.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Weeks 17 & 18

• Unknown said:
    1410 and Laddie brings in a fish, before being flattened by PF4 and he looked lucky not to be injured.
    PF5 then landed on the nest after the fish.
    It was a hectic couple of minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Richard.
    I've just watched it al on scroll back just so I could make sense of it all before posting pics. Laddie did appear to look ok on his flight away, thankfully.

• He did look to fly away ok Sandra, but he was certainly lucky.

Richard B

• Absolutely. This nest has been in such disarray since NC0 left...
  • The 14:10 delivery

Laddie over on the edge of the nest

Laddie flying off

PF5 flying onto the nest, screeching

TBC

©SWT/LotL

• Cont'd...

He was fish calling, she was screeching

PF4 showed dominance...back to the old days!

PF5 into submission

PF4 began to eat

At 14:15ish, PF4 moved slightly and called after she had ruffled her feathers, she stopped eating

Then literally flew at him

She launched another attack

PF4 stood back for less than a second before going for him again

She had one of PF5's feathers in her beak

PF4 then turned and flapped her wings

Before bringing her attention back to PF5

PF5 flew, rather than fell, off the nest

She tucked into her fish

©SWT/LotL

• It's been ENS since 17:10 after PF4 flapped down onto the limb - she was shouting

19:42 I very much doubt she is still there, I can't hear any movement or calling . The piece of grass/frond next to the bark near the centre of the nest in the pic above, was blown over in the breeze a little earlier

Edit: I've just scrolled back to see if I could find out if she had left. It didn't take long! PF4 made some loud alarm calls at 17:26 and could be heard flying off from the limb, but behind the cam. There were a few high-pitched calls heard in the distance after that but then went quiet. I didn't see her fly over to the birch immediately after.  

©SWT/LotL

• 19:58 I can hear distant fish calling from one of the juveniles, nothing seen

• 20:06 The calls got louder and close to the nest. No one landed there but calling could still be heard as if one was sitting somewhere behind the nest

Edit: There was a flight away from the cam post a minute or so after, more calling before leaving

Whoever this was, flew low around the birch corner

©SWT/LotL

• PF4 came back to the nest from the birch area at 20:18, she was shouting

20:20 Continuing to call

20:26 She was quiet

20:33 Fish calling again

©SWT/LotL

• 21:19 All quiet around the Loch. PF4 on the perch

21:20 Spoke too soon, PF4 began to fish call!

©SWT/LotL