LOCH GARTEN - JULY 2023

I start this thread with a heavy heart, as Brodie hasn't been seen at all on Friday 30th June. The last fish delivered to the nest was at 21.11 on 28 June, over 48 hours ago. Brodie was last sighted at 09.10 hours on 29 June, over 36 hours ago.

Chick 1 hatched 'early morning' on the 4 June and chick 2 overnight on 6 June. One egg didn't hatch (maybe number 1?). There were lots of intruders during the month of June, including KL5, and last year's male Axel on the weekend of 17/18th.  Brodie has disappeared before for a couple of days, and no fish were delivered over the first weekend after hatching on 10/11th June so maybe we should keep the faith and cross all eyes, toes and fingers that Brodie will come good, recover from whatever keeps him away from his nest and chicks, and deliver a stonking fish first thing on 1 July.

Link to June 2023 thread

• I watched it Scylla, thanks. Don't let that brain overheat now, let it rest!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Asha still incubating the unhatched egg! She's just rolled it, bless.

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• 21.15 fish. Number 4 today. The boy's dun good

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Woops, I've just written some grand words of wisdom, and was foolish to check the thread on another tab. I've lost it!
    I know nothing about fish, other than tasty ones I eat. We know that Brodie usually brings in brown trout from a river, rather that a rainbow trout which possibly come from the Rothiemurchus fish farm or the Aviemore Ospreys, a man-made pond designed for photographers. The Spey is within spitting distance. LG is considered too brackish and may only have pike. Water levels are low at the moment but it is quite a distance to the salt water, I think! But where did Brodie find the flounder? That's more the Dyfi favourite! I have no idea how far upstream they might go into fresh water. No matter, really, as long as fish keep arriving, and we don't have those terrible hours waiting for the arrival of the next meal. At least we know that Asha will take control. What a formidable female she is becoming. A worthy successor to EJ.
    So we have suggestions of rainbow trout and salmon, with any red being caused by talon damage. Another fish to throw in the mix - what about salmon trout?
    All quite onthe nest at the moment in the gloom, or should that be gloamin.
    I'm sorry I'm not up to ball, but stuff continues at home which pre-occupies my time.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• During the following hours Asha brought a stick or two, of course.

Unknown said:
    15.15 nice fish

Nice, yeah - chunky!

The feed was largely shielded from us.

Supper - just a slomo of the delivery because the time of day means we can't get a very good snap - it was a good fish, and Brodie's wings were lovely:

It started raining before 22:00.

• 05 July

Mostly heavy rain overnight, Asha took a 15+ minute break, returned to sleep on the perch (I haven't indicated how long for), and then was rather tardy, I thought, deciding to shelter the chicks!  However, she's such an uber-brilliant mama in other ways, one has to forgive her - or even concede that she knows what she's doing Rofl

Now:

G'night folks!

• Morning All apart from an intruder at 6 17 am all quiet,, coffee time SYAL
  • Scylla never fear that we don’t watch/listen to your videos or comments. I’m sure that regular contributors & lurkers alike always enjoy your input. That appreciation is also for all of you who continue to keep us informed of daily Loch Garten happenings. It is a breakfast treat for me to catch up with the latest bulletins. Thank you.
  • Brodi just delved FISH

Time  12 20 pm

• Chick #2 did not get fed till 13 00