Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 June 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a week of joyful, serene summer days.

I posted a couple of replies at the end of last week's thread. I read with interest all of your news throughout the week, and I apologize for not replying to everyone. I've been ill this week, and I haven't accomplished much of anything. Sorry, folks, for this negative start to the thread. I usually try to write a positive post.

Have a good week, all.

• rusty2 said:
    I hope the hen harrier escaped.

It did.

rusty2 said:
    I have been on a tour of supermarkets

Worth the effort!  We don't use Tesco at all - we depend on Lidl (mainly), with a few bits and bobs from Morrisons, Sainsburys, Aldi, Asda and Iceland.  Sausages absolutely have to come from our local butcher, though, as they do the best sausages in Felixstowe,

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• dibnlib said:
    OH was taken by ambulance to Raigmore recently, query heart???? When they got to the hospital he had to wait in the ambulance for 1 1/2 hours. The paramedics said that was nothing out of the ordinary and they often had to wait longer.

In November I was taken to hospital with a very painful infection.  It was 8 hours before I was admitted to A & E.  Around the same time my cousin had a stroke - his wife and daughter were told that they would have to wait 7 hours for an ambulance to come out to him.  They managed to get him to hospital themselves and he was seen immediately.  He's recovered well but it could have been very different.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Firstly - sorry you've not been too good, Limpy. Thoughts are with you both. You're quite right about your cousin -- you need attention as soon as possible if you have a stroke. Waiting & delays can mean its harder to recover afterwards.

Good to hear that you managed a break on Mull - I know you love it there.

Sunny here and my OH got up very early to fill the laundry line as I can't do it, before going to play golf (he said on returning that it was the worst round he's ever played!) I feel much better and rest assured I have felt around my legs several times to see if anything was pain ful, in case of a break. There has been a lot of swelling and that's what's sore: it's my left leg which was my "good" knee which is swollen, so my "bad" knee is now having to do all the work. Both legs very tired by the end of the day even though I'm reclining in a recliner for hours! Just began reading a new book (old one of my fathers) and feeling rather lazy.

EDIT:  I now hold the record for dropping a stick when it's supposed to be propped up beside me. Also, have found several clever ways to carry small objects when moving around.  Am beginning to start most conversations with my OH with "can you just  ......."

• By the way I have two fatball feeders and I only ever put one fat ball out at a time in either of them because however many I put out they'd be empty by the end of the day & I can't keep up with that. One of them is
    "squirrel proof" which means the magpies (we have many of those) can't reach although I notice that some of the starlings are quite inventive and manage to hang sideways to get their goal.

Bjane I'm sorry you're confined to home because of the bad air - how dreadful.
  • Good to hear from you, CLARE !
    LINDY - just be careful...
    My eldest daughter and family are leaving tomorrow for a much looked forward to holiday in Canada. First week in Toronto and second week in Banff. Yesterday, the air quality in Toronto was awful. I hope that they will be OK. First time for them in Canada, visiting our Canadian family.
  • Morning all

Lindybird: Call me a nag, but you can tear tendons, mensicus, etc., that also cause pain and swelling and if you don't deal with them early on they'll create long term problems. You don't need your 'good' knee compromised. At the very least, keep ice packs on that elevated knee (while you're calling the doc)! End of lecture! :-)

Clare/Limpy: So sorry to hear it's been a rough time, compounded by such awfully long waits at E&R. Are you over the infection completely? Hugs to both of you.

Heather:  Banff is GORGEOUS.  I'm jealous.  :-)   Do you know where they're staying there?

Hope bjane and Diane are breathing just a little easier...

• I hope Diane is alright in all that heat, & that the air quality is improving.

Happy Birthday to J - I'm sure you'll have found a way to celebrate, OG. My sympathies to EE as waiting for your cataracts to be "bad enough" to be treated is rather boring.

Clare, I'm off in a minute to see your pics from Mull: so glad you had your annual "fix".

My OH is having a poor day - he didn't do well in his golf, then he had to cope with my laundry demands, then he found that at the allotment his gate lock had broken and also his strawberries were suddenly coming to an end of their fruiting for this year. Now he is streaming with a head cold, poor thing.
  • My new lilies have opened, and are very bright & cheerful.

• My OHs favourites in the garden, floribunda roses.