Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 June 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a week of joyful, serene summer days.

I posted a couple of replies at the end of last week's thread. I read with interest all of your news throughout the week, and I apologize for not replying to everyone. I've been ill this week, and I haven't accomplished much of anything. Sorry, folks, for this negative start to the thread. I usually try to write a positive post.

Have a good week, all.

• Diane-thanks for thinking of me. The air here is quite awful! Can't see to the end of the street but I do have air conditioning so I'm okay. I actually don't remember having to deal with this before. Of course, I had doctor's appointments and a couple of social outings this week, wouldn't you know!
  • Well, the air quality just reached 232 in my little town, according to AccuWeather. We are Code Purple. That means the air is very unhealthy to dangerous. The air will cause negative effects for the general public, not only the vulnerable. I don't have air conditioning, so I'm feeling it today. Unfortunately, I have to walk to a dentist appointment tomorrow, when the temperature will be 90F (32.2C), which will make the air worse.

Bjane: I don't remember having to deal with this before either. Take good care of yourself.

LINDY: I agree that you may want to see a doctor. Sending you healing.

www.accuweather.com/.../2135920

• Sorry I nipped in and out so quickly this afternoon with my message to LINDA.

We have had some very variable weather – quite damp, drizzly and dreich at times, but sunny in small amounts – as now this evening. Tomorrow was forecast to be good – now I see it has changed again!

DIANE – sorry about the twisters – glad you stayed safe!

PAT – sorry to read about poor food provision at the conference. I haven’t been to the NEC for a long time – went to Good Food Show once, and to Gardener’s World Show at least twice. But I don’t think we used any of those big hotels – found other accommodation.

RUSTY – glad PowerPoint sorted itself for your presentation! We limit the fatballs to two or three a day as the Starlings get very greedy and lazy. Not sure I could manage a Tern Colony – they look so vicious, especially when they have young ones!

LYNETTE – sorry you were back in hospital – I hope the inhaler will help.

ANNETTE – sorry landscaping schedule has slipped – dreading our new windows in two weeks – just hoping they keep to their plan!

BJANE – I hope you don’t develop any health problems from that dirty air – horrible conditions for anyone who has to go out!

OH went to the optician yesterday – his cataract is still there after several years, but not enough to do anything about it. I had a phone consultation with one of our GPs about my blood pressure – he is doubling the dose of one of my three BP meds. J went for blood tests this morning – he’s like me, difficult to find his veins. It’s his birthday tomorrow. We gave him a new printer for his PC, but have a card and a cake for on the day and have intercepted a card from one of his sisters.
  • Lindy - do look after yourself. I suspect it’s probably the thought of a long wait which is preventing you from going to A&E. I hope you find you are in less discomfort tomorrow.
    OG - the little terns are just that - little. They are lovely. We don’t get too close though. They are on the shingle and we stay well out of their way on the beach. We deliberately chose a time when the tide would be out so that we could keep a good distance from them.
    My sympathies to those of you in the US dealing with air pollution and adverse weather.
    Here it has been cooler today and overcast. I have been out to lunch with some of my former colleagues. I had some very nice home made leek and potato soup with fresh chunky bread. I didn’t want a bigger meal.
  • Diane-why haven't you gotten a car yet? I thought you were looking...........
  • Diane: That's really awful! I know what that must feel like, but I'm not sure it's ever been that here, even during the Thomas Fire when everything got coated with ash day after day and they were telling us to be careful when cleaning it up because of all the houses and associated materials that burned. Do you have access to N95 or KN95 masks in your town? If the dentist is far, any handy neighbor who can run you there? Looks like it's not going to be good over the weekend too.

bjane: Hope you've got some protection for going out and about. .

OG: Landscapers are all but done; just some minor stuff to finish up but they've left for the day and managed to tidy up - finally. Now all I have to do is check everything and make a list of the stuff that was left undone.....
  • Good morning, all.  It feels like a lifetime since I last posted - it hasn't been the easiest of years and Limpy has been struggling.  However we have just enjoyed another holiday on the beautiful isle of Mull and I thought you might like to see a thread I've just posted.  Click on this pair of young birds to see the rest:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE Thank you for the pics. Sorry to hear LIMPY hasn't been too good. Very glad you managed a break on Mull.

DIANE Sounds really bad with you and others Take care.
  • Unknown said:
    Not sure I could manage a Tern Colony – they look so vicious, especially when they have young ones!

Not vicious - just very, very protective.  Who could blame them, with our species around?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• What great photos Clare. I hope the hen harrier escaped. So sorry that Limpy hasn’t been too good but really pleased that you still managed to get to Mull. It’s a long way to drive.
    I hope the air is clearing for those who are suffering from the pollution.
    Wondering how Lindy is this morning.
    I have been on a tour of supermarkets!!! Yes!!! How exciting!! I wanted to stock up on items which my local Tescos doesn’t stock. I know where to find them but it involves driving around. It was a successful trip! There seemed to be an awful lot of temporary traffic lights and roadworks to negotiate!!!